Lamberson Butte new addition

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bushwhacker

Lamberson Butte new addition

Post by bushwhacker » October 9th, 2020, 3:55 pm

IMG_1277.JPG
Looks great doesn't it! Really adds to the wilderness ambiance.

Must be brand new. No dirt or marks on it (no I did not yield to temptation even though I really had to pee :lol: ). That turd brown box thing had to have been helicoptered in. Wonder how this stuff works when it is buried under 10 feet of winter snow.

retired jerry

Re: Lamberson Butte new addition

Post by retired jerry » October 9th, 2020, 4:00 pm

weren't they going to install earthquake sensors up there?

and then that got delayed for some reason?

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » October 9th, 2020, 5:17 pm

Aha!
I knew those were approved, quite some time ago.
I thought maybe it had fizzled.

Next time you hear some government official, or a government apologist, say that they regrettably can't take a particular desirable action because it's illegal, just show them that photo and remind them that government can do whatever they want. There's always a loophole. It's a corollary to the rule that government can always find funding for their pet projects, in spite of constantly moaning "we'd like to do that, but it's not in the budget".

Thanks for the update, Bushwhacker.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » October 9th, 2020, 5:19 pm

Whenever I go to the top of Tom Dick & Harry, I amuse myself by stomping around near the seismometer and then looking at the results on the PNSN web site: https://pnsn.org/seismogram/current/tdh (There's excellent cell service up there, so you can almost see it in real time.)

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » October 9th, 2020, 7:26 pm

New seismologists are often coached to ignore aberrations. "That's just the Schneider Effect," they're told.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » October 9th, 2020, 11:53 pm

Chip Down wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 7:26 pm
New seismologists are often coached to ignore aberrations. "That's just the Schneider Effect," they're told.
Not to mention that my pseudo-Morse-code stomping doesn't show up on any other stations...

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 10th, 2020, 5:31 am

then we need an organized event. several people at different seismometers stomping in sync

social distancing

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » October 10th, 2020, 7:25 am

retired jerry wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 5:31 am
then we need an organized event. several people at different seismometers stomping in sync

social distancing
Oh, I was thinking of several people at TDH, but yeah, at different stations could be good too. There's a whole bunch on St Helens, I could probably put together a map with hiking instructions. Some are illegal to access, but I won't rat you out. ;)

BurnsideBob

Post by BurnsideBob » October 10th, 2020, 9:21 am

bushwhacker wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 3:55 pm
IMG_1277.JPG
Looks great doesn't it!

I did not yield to temptation even though I really had to pee :lol: . Wonder how this stuff works when it is buried under 10 feet of winter snow.
BurnsideBob here in curmudgeon mode.

Looking at sculpted trees in photo, snow won't accumulate.

Ever touch the terminals of a 9 volt battery to your tongue? Pee is way more electrically conductive soooooooo. . . . . don't pee on that sucker. While it should be electrically sealed you could get the shock of your life--each of those pv panels will put out 5.5 amps at about 20 volts.

I stomped around the seismometer at the Griffith Park Observatory in Los Angeles. There's a lot of concrete in that building and, with the sensor in the basement, I didn't have an effect. The Mt Hood detector is probably buried underneath that concrete-filled plastic culvert so, with much less mass, maybe it would register foot falls.

Seismometer arrays work by comparing the time and magnitude of an earthquake signal as it is received at the different detectors in the system to calculate earthquake intensity, depth, and location. "Local noise" will get filtered out. And there is lots of local noise from land and snow slides, shock waves from Mt Hood Meadows' avy control howitzer, ski patroller explosive charges, heavy equipment in motion, blasting at gravel pits or mines, pile driving for building foundations, and so on.

But it would be pretty cool if someone could simulate an earthquake swarm! They get press when they happen!

Stomp on!

BurnsideBob
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.

bushwhacker

Post by bushwhacker » October 11th, 2020, 6:56 am

retired jerry wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 4:00 pm
weren't they going to install earthquake sensors up there?

and then that got delayed for some reason?
Yeah this is part of the USGS volcano monitoring system. If I remember correctly there is/will be one on Yocum Ridge and Barrett Spur also. This new one doesn't appear on their monitoring map yet.
https://www.usgs.gov/volcanoes/mount-hood/monitoring

There was some group that tied this up in court of some time objecting to the aesthetics and the helicopter joy rides involved. Guess the USGS finally won (big surprise there).

There must be some sort of maintenance that is required on these from time to time one would think. Wonder how that will get done. I can't imagine some governmental person actually walking that far when a tax payer supplied helicopter ride into the wilderness would be available :roll: .