Hunters on Timberline Trail????

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
retired jerry

Re: Hunters on Timberline Trail????

Post by retired jerry » October 4th, 2020, 12:19 pm

I'm not into hunting, but the risk to non hunters, non huntees is small.

Sometimes I wear an orange safety vest.

xrp

Post by xrp » October 5th, 2020, 5:34 am

NacMacFeegle wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 10:28 am
Bummer that the best season to be outdoors (no heat, no bugs, no people) is also hunting season
It really does suck, the danger of being shot is very real, and if I had to pass an animal corpse being hauled out of the woods it would completely ruin the trip for me. I don't understand why hunters should be allowed access to practically every area outside of a National Park for an entire season of the year. At the very least there should be a few weeks in October when there is not hunting whatsoever.
Hunting season is a patchwork of timing and regulations that hunters have to be aware of.

Here's Oregon's seasons: https://myodfw.com/big-game-hunting/seasons

Hunters are "allowed" access because that is where the game is. Hunters have a rather narrow window of time when they are able to hunt. You can verify this from the link that I provided. Hunters also likely contribute more, revenue-wise, to the wilderness than you do. The cost of hunting licenses and the various tags (which are no guarantee of harvest) aren't cheap, especially if you are a state non-resident.

Your chances of being shot and killed by a hunter are less than your chances of dying in a car crash en route to the trailhead for your hike. Will you stop riding in a car? The danger is very real. https://www.thoughtco.com/hunting-accident-rates-127877

Disclosure: I am not a hunter.

pcg

Post by pcg » October 5th, 2020, 6:19 am

Some thread drift...
xrp wrote:
October 5th, 2020, 5:34 am
[Hunters also likely contribute more, revenue-wise, to the wilderness than you do.
This is absolutely true. The reason was initially historical, but has stayed that way largely because of efforts by the NRA, which is mainly funded by gun manufacturers, whose clientele is interested in increasing opportunities for hunting.

All wildlife is managed by federal and state fish and game agencies. Revenue comes not only from licenses, but from taxes on guns and ammunition. Like all agencies, these agencies listen to and serve their paying clients.

Efforts to change this have been successfully lobbied against by the NRA. Think about it. Should our wildlife be managed solely by gun owners and hunters?

drm

Post by drm » October 5th, 2020, 7:34 am

pcg wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 7:48 am
[They volunteered that a bow hunter recently shot another bow hunter in the arm after he "heard a noise in the bush and let one fly".
That is horrible and probably close to criminal. Hunters are allowed to hunt certain animals so of course they need to be able to see them clearly to know they are shooting at something they are allowed to hunt. If a hunter shot at a noise and it ended up being person, I would hope that criminal charges would result. And I am confident that most hunters would not do that. But as with everything, there are always a few.

xrp

Post by xrp » October 5th, 2020, 10:44 am

drm wrote:
October 5th, 2020, 7:34 am
pcg wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 7:48 am
[They volunteered that a bow hunter recently shot another bow hunter in the arm after he "heard a noise in the bush and let one fly".
That is horrible and probably close to criminal.
Close to criminal? It is fact that if you injure/kill another human with a weapon, you will indeed be facing criminal charges. Unless no one reported it! :o

pcg

Post by pcg » October 5th, 2020, 11:29 am

I got the impression it was among a group of friends and was not reported. I was trying to not be too nosey as there was a bit of a culture clash going on - wildlife lover/observer vs. hunters. Everyone was cordial, but there was some awkwardness in the air.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » October 5th, 2020, 3:10 pm

drm wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 6:49 am
If you are a hiker who likes to bushwhack cross country, you really need to be wearing bright orange.
I just give a little toot from my air horn every few seconds, let's them know there's a human around. ;)

I saw a couple hunters on Elk Cove trail in late August, as I passed them in the dark. They smelled absolutely horrible, due to their scent mask.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » October 5th, 2020, 7:02 pm

I wonder how at-risk dogs are from hunters, especially off-leash. There was this incident in Montana in 2013 where a malamute was mistaken for a wolf and killed by a hunter.

xrp

Post by xrp » October 5th, 2020, 8:23 pm

justpeachy wrote:
October 5th, 2020, 7:02 pm
I wonder how at-risk dogs are from hunters, especially off-leash. There was this incident in Montana in 2013 where a malamute was mistaken for a wolf and killed by a hunter.
There are blaze orange vests/packs for dogs. I guess it comes down to how clued and caring the dog’s owner is.

drm

Post by drm » October 6th, 2020, 5:50 am

xrp wrote:
October 5th, 2020, 10:44 am
Close to criminal? It is fact that if you injure/kill another human with a weapon, you will indeed be facing criminal charges. Unless no one reported it! :o
I have certainly heard of hunter shootings that were considered accidents and no charges were filed, even some resulting in a death.