If you were to choose a section of Oregon coast to do a 3-day, 2-night thru hike, where would it be?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
hisdudeness47

If you were to choose a section of Oregon coast to do a 3-day, 2-night thru hike, where would it be?

Post by hisdudeness47 » September 21st, 2020, 1:48 pm

Title says it all. Lookin' to do a 3 day, 2 night thru hike on the Oregon coast somewhere. Was looking at Bandon to Port Orford (or vice versa), but I'm wondering if you guys might have some other recommendations. Thanks!

aiwetir

Re: If you were to choose a section of Oregon coast to do a 3-day, 2-night thru hike, where would it be?

Post by aiwetir » September 21st, 2020, 2:55 pm

Are the redwoods too far away?

I did this N-S sometime in the 90s I think
https://www.nps.gov/redw/planyourvisit/ ... ctions.htm
- Michael

hisdudeness47

Re: If you were to choose a section of Oregon coast to do a 3-day, 2-night thru hike, where would it be?

Post by hisdudeness47 » September 21st, 2020, 2:57 pm

aiwetir wrote:
September 21st, 2020, 2:55 pm
Are the redwoods too far away?

I did this N-S sometime in the 90s I think
https://www.nps.gov/redw/planyourvisit/ ... ctions.htm
Personally I would prefer the Redwoods/NorCal because I'm coming from Reno. The trouble is I'm meeting up with my friends from Portland and Bellingham, WA. We were kind of hoping to pick something in the middle.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 21st, 2020, 4:06 pm

Crescent City is a good compromise between Portland and Reno. The Bellingham people are on their own. :)

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » September 26th, 2020, 6:49 am

Generally speaking, the Oregon coast isn’t set up well for backpacking. Washington on the other hand does have some interesting coastal trails with camping opportunities. If you are meeting in Oregon, I would go with something more inland (that isn’t burned up)

bobcat

Post by bobcat » September 27th, 2020, 4:25 pm

The section you pointed out - Bandon to Port Orford - is a continuous 30 mile section that fits well into your time frame. Highlights include Blacklock Point and Cape Blanco.

Others:

* Siuslaw to Umpqua Rivers: all within the Oregon Dunes NRA. All beach hiking but much of it away from roads. c 30 miles including some backtracking on the spits.

* A shorter section (c 20 miles) Otter Point to Crook point, includes Cape Sebastian, Pistol River; try to hit Crook Point at low tide to see the Mack Arch, Oregon's largest sea arch.

I like the Samuel Boardman corridor for the ruggedness and sheer beauty of the scenery, but it's all close to Highway 101 and not that conducive to a "remote" backpack.