Anyone ever cross country from Hobo Lake to Bear Lake in the Eagle Cap wilderness?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Ore-Ida

Anyone ever cross country from Hobo Lake to Bear Lake in the Eagle Cap wilderness?

Post by Ore-Ida » August 6th, 2020, 3:12 pm

It looks like there's one ridge to navigate between the two, that, if accomplished, would set up a pretty sweet loop hike outside of the ever-popular Lakes Basin. I kind of want to try it, but I thought I'd ask here first.

PS: I'm no stranger to the terrain of the Wallowas, but I don't usually go off trail.

TIA!

Aimless

Re: Anyone ever cross country from Hobo Lake to Bear Lake in the Eagle Cap wilderness?

Post by Aimless » August 6th, 2020, 3:32 pm

I have not done it. The most info I can offer is that one time while I was at Hobo Lake several years back I met a backpacker who said he had come cross-country from Bear Lake. About all this establishes for you is that it is not an impossibility. I have no info on the best route or possible hazards.

BurnsideBob

Re: Anyone ever cross country from Hobo Lake to Bear Lake in the Eagle Cap wilderness?

Post by BurnsideBob » August 7th, 2020, 9:46 am

Check out: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17132

IIRC there are one or two trip reports covering this area on NorthwestHikers.org.

BurnsideBob

Please post trip report with lots of photos when you get back.
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » August 10th, 2020, 6:45 am

There are a few user trails visible on Google satellite view. It looks like they head NNW from Hobo Lake, contour over the lower north end of the ridge (8500'), and then turn south toward Bear Lake.

My rule of thumb: if you can see it from satellite view, you can hike it.
instagram: @remyodyssey

McCarter

Post by McCarter » August 10th, 2020, 3:57 pm

My wife, dog, and I went up and over to Lookout Mountain to Bear Lake last year on fourth of july weekend. We took a more direct route from the top of Lookout Mountain, but without snow that decent would be brutal (rockfall, getting cliffed out, etc.). Teachpdx is right on, descending from the north down to the lake looked very doable. If you want an entertaining account of the journey, William O. Douglas describes his descent down to Bear Lake in his book in Of Mountains and Men.

Ore-Ida

Post by Ore-Ida » September 17th, 2020, 3:45 pm

Update: we went just before all hell broke loose. There is a way between Bear and the lower Hobo lake. The route would be easier coming from Bear, but it was hard to find. I'm sad to report we did not find it and instead we descended to Wood Lake, which I don't recommend. Later we hiked from Hobo to the meadow where we lost the trail.
It was about a 20 minute walk! Oh well!