Raker Point/Sawtooth Mtn - June 25, 2017

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
pablo

Re: Raker Point/Sawtooth Mtn - June 25, 2017

Post by pablo » August 4th, 2017, 10:51 pm

Splintercat wrote:Hey, Paul - loved this report! But the freaky part is that was working on a blog article on Raker Point at almost the same time in June... great minds think alike? I wish I would have seen this, as it would have asked to include some of your photos and recon in the article. For now, I think I'll just add a postscript and link at the bottom.

Thanks for posting! Your legend continues to grow..! :D

(BTW, the blog article is over here.

Tom :)
Hi Tom,

Ha! That's funny.

You know, I read your blog article shortly after posting this trip report after it turned up on a Google search for Raker Pt. and at that time I thought you'd read my report and they were somehow connected. Uncanny.

BTW, nice article on Raker Pt. and a proposed trail. For a trail to the Pt. I'd use the existing Skyline segment, the bit of road to get to the base of the hill and go on from there. Be nice to include a path along the ridgeline of Sawtooth Mtn to that landing to the east. I'm pretty sure you can drive to the landing. One can dream.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Hoodster

Post by Hoodster » September 3rd, 2020, 1:52 pm

pablo wrote:
June 25th, 2017, 11:03 pm
I have been eying Raker Point for quite some time motivated in part by its location and appearance in Google Earth and also by a postcard photo Splintercat posted in an article on the photographer on his blog
Great details and superb photos, Paul!

So, from your map it looks like the 650 road goes very near the Raker summit. Do you know if that road is open and passable to all-wheel drive vehicles? I was thinking of driving up to the point where your red trip line intersects the 650 and then bushwhacking from there following your line. Thanks in advance for any input!

pablo

Post by pablo » September 15th, 2020, 9:12 pm

So, from your map it looks like the 650 road goes very near the Raker summit. Do you know if that road is open and passable to all-wheel drive vehicles? I was thinking of driving up to the point where your red trip line intersects the 650 and then bushwhacking from there following your line.
Hey Hoodster,

On the district map that road is marked the 660 road and it is totally decommed and impassable. The closest you can get to the summit, and I'm not sure how easy or hard the hike from there would be, is to take the 1350 Rd to where it ends in a log landing about a mile away from Raker Point. I've driven part way up the 1350 but that was a while ago so I'm not sure what conditions are now.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.