Saw my first Black Bear

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
dmthomas49

Saw my first Black Bear

Post by dmthomas49 » September 5th, 2020, 6:16 am

While hiking Friday on Hamilton Mountain on the north side of the loop on Don’s cutoff trail, we saw a black bear above us. It saw us at the same time. I tried to get my phone out to take a photo but it was gone before the first shot. It looked back two times while running off. Looked like a young adult bear. I know this does not seem like a big deal. For me this was amazing to see this beautiful animal out in the wild. I might not have this opportunity again.
On the way down to the trailhead we joked about whether we should tell people we saw a bear. We knew that it was likely no one else would see it. We guessed who would be frightened or excited.
This made my day! :)
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir

texasbb

Re: Saw my first Black Bear

Post by texasbb » September 5th, 2020, 2:14 pm

It's always exhilarating to see one of those, frustrating when it gets away before the camera gets out. I still haven't sighted one in the Cascades, but have seen quite a few in the WA Blues. Go east, young man! Go in May, go solo, move quietly, high meadows, good chance!

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » September 5th, 2020, 3:20 pm

Cool!
Bears are neat.
Your experience is typical: The most commonly photographed part of a bear is its butt. :lol:
Only time I've been approached by a bear was when cubs were involved. ("Awww, look at the cute cubs...oh, wait, where's Mom?" :shock: )

gallione11

Post by gallione11 » September 5th, 2020, 3:28 pm

I've run into two (from a distance). Once at Paradise up at Mount Rainier a couple of years ago. I found this one surprising considering how many people go through there on a daily basis in July.

Second one was last May on Dog Mountain. Should have expected something when we saw three deer barreling down a sheer slope full speed before you leave the tree cover. As we were doing some of the final exposed switchbacks, we saw it down below at the edge of the trees.

Think I'd rather run into them than a cougar. :D

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 5th, 2020, 4:00 pm

Black bears don't freak out when cubs are involved the way grizzlies do. Plus, when there are cubs you probably have a better chance to get a photo because she's not gonna leave the baby in the dust.

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » September 5th, 2020, 5:59 pm

Interesting. It's been one year ago this Labor Day weekend since my own oddly-close encounter with a bear. Perhaps they also like to take their holidays in the area?

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 5th, 2020, 7:45 pm

squidvicious wrote:
September 5th, 2020, 5:59 pm
Perhaps they also like to take their holidays in the area?
I think they're just out and about more at this time of year because they're in hyperphagia mode.

Pick-a-Pika

Post by Pick-a-Pika » September 7th, 2020, 5:22 am

I've had two sightings along the Tamanawas Falls trail. One was on the other side of the creek lumbering along the banks; the other was two cubs near the talus slope that blocked the trail a few years ago.

Wish more folks knew about this. Maybe the TH parking lot wouldn't be overflowing all the time. :lol: That trail is getting loved to death. I don't go there anymore.

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » September 7th, 2020, 5:46 am

Pick-a-Pika wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 5:22 am
Wish more folks knew about this. Maybe the TH parking lot wouldn't be overflowing all the time. :lol: That trail is getting loved to death. I don't go there anymore.
I expect if more folks knew about it, it would only result in more of them coming out wanting to see the cool bear. Maybe pet it.

hiking67

Post by hiking67 » November 4th, 2020, 6:49 am

dmthomas49 wrote:
September 5th, 2020, 6:16 am
While hiking Friday on Hamilton Mountain on the north side of the loop on Don’s cutoff trail, we saw a black bear above us. It saw us at the same time. I tried to get my phone out to take a photo but it was gone before the first shot. It looked back two times while running off. Looked like a young adult bear. I know this does not seem like a big deal. For me this was amazing to see this beautiful animal out in the wild. I might not have this opportunity again.
On the way down to the trailhead we joked about whether we should tell people we saw a bear. We knew that it was likely no one else would see it. We guessed who would be frightened or excited.
This made my day! :)
Cool.