Timberline Loop (Clockwise). August 27-31, 2020

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
erbombla

Timberline Loop (Clockwise). August 27-31, 2020

Post by erbombla » September 1st, 2020, 1:27 pm

My friends and I completed the Timberline loop in five days, four nights. We traveled clockwise, beginning and ending at Timberline Lodge. The conditions are perfect. There are plenty of river crossings ranging in difficulty. These areas require some route-finding. There were a lot of people on the trail, but everyone was respectful. Due to the high traffic, plan accordingly when locating a campsite.

August 27. Timberline Lodge - Rushing Water Creek, 9 miles. We ate lunch at Paradise Park and took the short detour to Split Rock. There is a junction near Paradise Branch Falls that is unmarked (45.36486, -121.75633). Make sure to check your map and continue along the PCT.
Paradise Park
Split Rock

August 28. Rushing Water Creek - McGee Creek, 8.5 miles. After taking plenty of photos at Ramona Falls, we climbed Bald Mountain Ridge. I debated pushing to Cairn Basin but my crew was tired and we camped at McGee Creek. The sunset was phenomenal.
Ramona Falls
Bald Mtn Ridge
[br]

August 29. McGee Creek - Cloud Cap, 11.3 miles. We got an early start to detour up McNeil Point. We stopped at the stone shelter, made breakfast and watched the sunrise. The views were surreal, especially the Mt. Hood shadow. The Elliot Branch yo-yo was a slog, but my friend met us at Cloud Cap with cold beers. The conditions were extremely dusty. I recommend camping further up in the forest or continue to Tilly Jane.
McNeil Point
Mt. Hood shadow
Dollar Lake Fire

August 30. Cloud Cap - Newton Creek, 6.3 miles. The alpine area around Cooper Spur was breathtaking. This is a very dry area. We made our decent and eventually crossed Newton Creek, where we found a secluded campsite in the forest.
High point 7,320 ft
[br]
Smoke from forest fires. Camp Sherman?

August 31. Newton Creek - Timberline Lodge, 7.6 miles. White River crossing was somewhat difficult and the high banks were a challenge. The final push to Timberline is no joke. I had flashbacks of the Elliot Branch climb.
Heather Canyon Falls
Final stretch

retired jerry

Re: Timberline Loop (Clockwise). August 27-31, 2020

Post by retired jerry » September 1st, 2020, 1:46 pm

Yeah, shadow of mt hood is cool

White river fire is maybe 20 miles southeast

keithcomess

Re: Timberline Loop (Clockwise). August 27-31, 2020

Post by keithcomess » September 1st, 2020, 2:01 pm

I've hiked that loop a couple of times, most recently last year. You're right about that last segment to the Lodge: it's hot, dusty, too near the road and it's close proximity to ski routes makes it an unpleasant (by my standard) conclusion to an otherwise interesting route.