Timberline Loop (CCW) 08/28/2020

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Post Reply
pete7898
Posts: 12
Joined: July 14th, 2020, 9:50 am

Timberline Loop (CCW) 08/28/2020

Post by pete7898 » August 31st, 2020, 1:16 pm

On Friday August 28th, I set out to do the Timberline 600 + PCT loop starting/finishing at Timberline Lodge. I used this website quite a bit for research so I'd like to share what stuck out instead of doing an in depth report. There are numerous great reports on this website, which are articulated far better than I could ever hope to achieve.

Key takeaways:

Finding the trail on the other side of the main river crossings was tricky. I heavily relied on google maps to get back on trail since my GPX file was corrupted. There are lots of cairns, but you find old ones that lead you astray.

The river crossings were all doable while staying dry if you're willing to scout up/down river 100-200 yards.

The variation in landscape and trail is amazing and never felt repetitive. Each hour presented something new and different. However towards the end of the day, I didn't have nice things to say about all the sand.

The closest I came to running out of water was climbing out of Sandy towards Zig Zag. (I had two 500 mL bottles)

There were a lot more hikers than I anticipated. I started just before 6 AM from Timberline Lodge heading CCW. In the first 6-8 hours I passed maybe 50 hikers and 5 others doing the full loop. Once past Cairn Basin I don't think I wen't more than 10 minutes without seeing someone. I know it's busier than normal right now, but I must have passed 200-300 people and with everybody trying to give ample space, this slowed me down much more than expected.

Train for both climbing and descending. Running downhill is actually what was the hardest near the end. A bruised big toe from mashing into the front of my shoe and a blister on my heel were two firsts.

Lastly, if I was to do this again I think I would start at Ramona Falls and head CCW. This way you get the three biggest climbs and a lot of sandy sections done in the first half. Climbing from Sandy to Timberline when it's cool out is an added bonus.

My GPS stats:

Total time: 12:30:29
Moving time: 10:41:24
Mileage: 41.7
Elevation 9,700 ft

20200828_085716.jpg
20200828_094140.jpg
20200828_102339.jpg
20200828_101528.jpg
20200828_174622.jpg

User avatar
walrus
Posts: 174
Joined: July 9th, 2014, 7:24 am

Re: Timberline Loop (CCW) 08/28/2020

Post by walrus » August 31st, 2020, 6:25 pm

Congratulations! Looks like you had fun. I'm glad it went well. Did you end up making it to Paradise Park?

User avatar
drm
Posts: 5365
Joined: May 28th, 2008, 10:03 pm
Location: The Dalles, OR
Contact:

Re: Timberline Loop (CCW) 08/28/2020

Post by drm » August 31st, 2020, 6:42 pm

pete7898 wrote:
August 31st, 2020, 1:16 pm
I know it's busier than normal right now, but I must have passed 200-300 people and with everybody trying to give ample space, this slowed me down much more than expected.
I remember this too - are they going to step aside or should I? In crowded areas on the trail, stepping aside for a large group, especially if spread out. Then another one. Then another. Next time I ain't stepping aside, a game of chicken. That's the way it is now. I would say that most are masked except near areas that get lots of casual dayhikers, but I would go so far as to say that weekends are not the best time to be doing a really crowded trail.

As to the sand, well, it's a feature, not a bug. :lol:

pete7898
Posts: 12
Joined: July 14th, 2020, 9:50 am

Re: Timberline Loop (CCW) 08/28/2020

Post by pete7898 » September 1st, 2020, 3:50 am

walrus wrote:
August 31st, 2020, 6:25 pm
Congratulations! Looks like you had fun. I'm glad it went well. Did you end up making it to Paradise Park?
Thanks! I opted to stay on the PCT this time. At an earlier river crossing, I slipped and tweaked a quad so I was kind of in survival mode and chose the easiest path back. If I can convince a friend to do the loop, we will take the Paradise Park trail and then I'll get to see something new!

pete7898
Posts: 12
Joined: July 14th, 2020, 9:50 am

Re: Timberline Loop (CCW) 08/28/2020

Post by pete7898 » September 1st, 2020, 4:03 am

drm wrote:
August 31st, 2020, 6:42 pm
pete7898 wrote:
August 31st, 2020, 1:16 pm
I know it's busier than normal right now, but I must have passed 200-300 people and with everybody trying to give ample space, this slowed me down much more than expected.
I remember this too - are they going to step aside or should I? In crowded areas on the trail, stepping aside for a large group, especially if spread out. Then another one. Then another. Next time I ain't stepping aside, a game of chicken. That's the way it is now. I would say that most are masked except near areas that get lots of casual dayhikers, but I would go so far as to say that weekends are not the best time to be doing a really crowded trail.

As to the sand, well, it's a feature, not a bug. :lol:
Exactly! Occasionally I would have to backtrack to find a place to step aside (I always lose at chicken). I'd estimate 80-90% had masks and the few that didn't usually stepped aside early and faced away. Going on a Friday, I had hoped it would be less crowded vs Saturday, however the weather was absolutely perfect and I think that is why there were so many day hikers.

User avatar
retired jerry
Posts: 13160
Joined: May 28th, 2008, 10:03 pm

Re: Timberline Loop (CCW) 08/28/2020

Post by retired jerry » September 1st, 2020, 6:18 am

I've been just getting 12 feet off trail

I don't care if I'm always the one doing it

Sometimes there's only room for only 6 or 3 feet, at least I'll face away

Sometimes they get off the trail, often not that far, I'll do the best I can

Given that you need to be within 6 feet for 15 minutes inside, normally, to transfer enough virus for infection, I think the chance of getting infected is tiny.

A lot of people carry a mask, put it up to their face when passing. I don't know if that's even effective.

This all is so confusing. It's good people are taking it seriously. If we could do way better we could get this under control and then go back more to normal. Groups of people indoors for periods of time greater than 15 minutes is what's doing us in. Maybe :)

User avatar
poppacouch
Posts: 38
Joined: May 24th, 2019, 1:47 pm
Location: Beaverton, OR

Re: Timberline Loop (CCW) 08/28/2020

Post by poppacouch » September 1st, 2020, 7:19 am

Congrats! That's a great accomplishment and should be a fun memory to look back on.

pete7898
Posts: 12
Joined: July 14th, 2020, 9:50 am

Re: Timberline Loop (CCW) 08/28/2020

Post by pete7898 » September 1st, 2020, 12:10 pm

poppacouch wrote:
September 1st, 2020, 7:19 am
Congrats! That's a great accomplishment and should be a fun memory to look back on.
Thanks! Time to plan the next adventure... Three sisters, Loowit, The Enchantments, Wonderland...so many options!

User avatar
poppacouch
Posts: 38
Joined: May 24th, 2019, 1:47 pm
Location: Beaverton, OR

Re: Timberline Loop (CCW) 08/28/2020

Post by poppacouch » September 2nd, 2020, 8:22 am

pete7898 wrote:
September 1st, 2020, 12:10 pm
poppacouch wrote:
September 1st, 2020, 7:19 am
Congrats! That's a great accomplishment and should be a fun memory to look back on.
Thanks! Time to plan the next adventure... Three sisters, Loowit, The Enchantments, Wonderland...so many options!
Yes to all of those! Same list I have going. And don't forget the Wallowa's in northeastern Oregon!

Post Reply