Timberline Trail August 2020

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bakerc

Timberline Trail August 2020

Post by bakerc » August 30th, 2020, 12:45 pm

My old ass decided to have a mid-life crisis. It was either go out and buy a new, convertible sports car or do something else wild and crazy. Since I'm not fired-up on convertibles and have no money for a sports car, I chose the wild part, and I'm already crazy, so that was easy. I planned a backpacking trip. About a year ago, I got the itch to hike the loop around Mt. Hood. I was originally supposed to go with my buddy, Art from Philly, but COVID threw a giant wrench into those plans. So, I went solo. Below are some photos. I threw together a post if you'd like to read my ramblings and see more pictures. It was definitely a beautiful hike and experience that tested me physically and mentally. Looking forward to the next one.

Link to post: https://www.cbakerphotography.com/blog/ ... ugust-2020
Attachments
2020_08 Timberline Trail Backpack 00008.JPG
2020_08 Timberline Trail Backpack 00030.JPG
2020_08 Timberline Trail Backpack 00036.JPG
2020_08 Timberline Trail Backpack 00075.JPG
2020_08 Timberline Trail Backpack 00082.JPG
2020_08 Timberline Trail Backpack 00097.JPG
2020_08 Timberline Trail Backpack 00103.JPG
2020_08 Timberline Trail Backpack 00138.JPG
2020_08 Timberline Trail Backpack 00160.JPG
2020_08 Timberline Trail Backpack 00176.JPG

retired jerry

Re: Timberline Trail August 2020

Post by retired jerry » August 30th, 2020, 1:11 pm

Nice writeup and pics, and on your website

I have to decide whether to do that or three sisters

You didn't seem to get any forest fire smoke

bakerc

Post by bakerc » August 30th, 2020, 1:53 pm

Thank you, Jerry. There wasn't any fire smoke when I was up there. Three Sisters is on my list for next year. If you go there, let me know about your experience. The Timberline Trail wasn't too busy during the week, but I've heard the weekends are a bit crazy. I had no problem finding a camp spot every evening. Cheers, guy!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 30th, 2020, 2:47 pm

One night I camped at a spot just before the Muddy Fork Crossing. It's the only spot for miles. I was by myself and went to sleep early. I heard some people in the night. When I got up, early, there were maybe 20 tents all over the place. I quickly packed up and went 0.1 mile to eat breakfast. By myself.

Same thing happened between Sandy River and Ramona Falls below the Sandy Guard Station, except it was earlier. I packed up and went up the hill past the guard station. When I got up the next morning there was one person that had camped in the evening, nearby, but I never noticed them.

But it's all good. If you camp at a popular spot expect others. People are usually pretty friendly. At least when you get away from automobiles. Annoying people tend to camp next to their vehicles.

Same thing has happened to me on Three Sisters.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » August 30th, 2020, 7:22 pm

In Spray Park (Rainier) a guy camped within shouting distance of my camp. I thought that was a bit rude. Only time I've ever had to wake up within sight of another camper. It's a big big big world; I don't understand why we can't spread out a bit.

Bakerc: still not too late late to buy a convertible. Get a cheap hardtop and you can pretend it's a sensible vehicle. ;)

What was the hardest creek crossing?

edit: I forgot about the jackasses who stayed up late partying on Crescent Glacier on Adams near my site. Jerks. :roll:

OldManRiver

Post by OldManRiver » August 31st, 2020, 11:03 am

retired jerry wrote:
August 30th, 2020, 2:47 pm
One night I camped at a spot just before the Muddy Fork Crossing. It's the only spot for miles. I was by myself and went to sleep early. I heard some people in the night. When I got up, early, there were maybe 20 tents all over the place. I quickly packed up and went 0.1 mile to eat breakfast. By myself.

Hey, great stuff thanks. I did that hike yesterday and was wondering how Muddy Fork got it's name. Why is the water so dirty there? I almost turned around at Bald Mt. lookout but a nice couple said if I continue to the water the view would be well worth it. they were right.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 31st, 2020, 11:06 am

glacial silt causes the water to look so muddy?

bakerc

Post by bakerc » August 31st, 2020, 4:42 pm

Chip Down wrote:
August 30th, 2020, 7:22 pm
In Spray Park (Rainier) a guy camped within shouting distance of my camp. I thought that was a bit rude. Only time I've ever had to wake up within sight of another camper. It's a big big big world; I don't understand why we can't spread out a bit.

Bakerc: still not too late late to buy a convertible. Get a cheap hardtop and you can pretend it's a sensible vehicle. ;)

What was the hardest creek crossing?

edit: I forgot about the jackasses who stayed up late partying on Crescent Glacier on Adams near my site. Jerks. :roll:

:lol: on the convertible, Chip Down!

I found Coe (I think it was Coe) and Newton Creek the most challenging. Granted, I slipped on a rock in Coe trying to avoid getting my feet wet, so factor that in. Newton, I just walked through and got my boots soaked. The log crossing looked janky. I didn't want to risk a slip with my camera, phone, etc...plus, the possibility of injuring myself.