Mississippi Head, B26 Crash Area

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Jim57

Mississippi Head, B26 Crash Area

Post by Jim57 » August 28th, 2020, 2:38 pm

In 1949 a B26 crashed into mississippi head on mt hood. The Plaque is in the climber registration room at the day lodge timberline.

8/27/20 My bro in law Peter and I started at timerline lodge. Hiked up to 8250 ft above the lodge. Traversed over using a garmin to make sure we had cleared the places we didn't want to be hiking. Down hiked to mississippi head to an area that had some of the B26 debris.

We did this in 2015 to an area of debris that had a propeller. Not today. We wound up at a different area. There is also debris at the bottom of the canyon. Not ever going there.

Mississippi head sure looks pretty in a picture. Looks flat to me. Ha! Coming down to mississippi head from the above is a whole different scenario. Nothing recognizable. Not easy.

Working our way down from mississippi head was another adventure. Used maps and gps to climb down till we connected to the 757 trail.

It was a long fun tough day. 12 miles and over 4100 of elevation gain. Lots of up and downs. From the timberline trail above the lodge to the top, traverse, mississipi head, and down to the 757 trail we saw no one. After that multitudes of people on the timberline trail.

Post Hike therapy. DQ chocolate shake on the way home.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
7.jpg
12.jpg
15.jpg
20.jpg
23.jpg
24.jpg
28.jpg

Don Nelsen

Re: Mississippi Head, B26 Crash Area

Post by Don Nelsen » August 28th, 2020, 6:35 pm

I don't remember seeing the debris in your picture when I was up there a few years ago. Do you have a gps track?

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Jim57

Post by Jim57 » August 28th, 2020, 9:24 pm

Just the coordinates

N 45° 21.355'
W 121° 43.444'

I just learned how to type the degree symbol.

I typed it into google maps just now. clicked on satellite image. cool

Hold down the alt key and type 0176 on the ten key pad. . . degree symbol

Haven't been hiking much these days. Hopefully going to get a few more in before the end of the year. I'm miss some old favorites: Rock of Ages, Ruckle Ridge, Eagle Creek. Didn't get to do the Wallowas last year. Lightning. No going this year. I've done the rogue river trail 4 times in the last 5 years. Not this year. Last october drove into free BLM tucker flats campground (rogue river) and spent several days there day hiking. Here's my other hobby. Keeps my hiking legs ready and my cardio strong.
Attachments
1a.jpg

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » August 29th, 2020, 8:04 pm

Don, I think the trick to finding the misc smaller parts is to cling to the edge of the SE cliff. It's pretty easy to spot countless scattered specimens. Also, the wreckage down below isn't really all that sketchy to access if you drop into the gully west of MH and contour under the cliffs until you're on the SE side (i.e. directly below the debris on the top of the cliff). Main challenge is rock-hopping, hoping they don't roll, and looking for parts that are semi-hidden in the interstices of the talus slope.