Mt Adams / Yakama / Tract D Provisional Opening

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
drm

Mt Adams / Yakama / Tract D Provisional Opening

Post by drm » August 24th, 2020, 8:07 am

The Yakama Nation has decided to open Tract D on Mt Adams for three weeks of weekdays in September: 14-18, 21-25, and 28 - Oct2. The announcement says $5/vehicle, day use only, open 7am to 6pm. Don't ask me why they chose weekdays only, I have no information except what is in the image below. This include Bird Creek Meadows and most of the higher altitude lands on the east side of Mt Adams.

texasbb

Re: Mt Adams / Yakama / Tract D Provisional Opening

Post by texasbb » August 24th, 2020, 10:54 am

Thanks, @drm. Did you find that somewhere online? Posted at a trailhead? Thumb-tacked to a bulletin board somewhere?

drm

Post by drm » August 24th, 2020, 11:24 am

Somebody I know somehow got on a Yakama email distribution list so received an email with that, and forwarded it to me.

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » August 24th, 2020, 3:56 pm

Does this seem like a once-a-year thing, or just the latest in a series of announcements?

Charley

Post by Charley » August 24th, 2020, 11:58 pm

I'm not sure of the exact details of what would be required, but would that allow for a permitted, legal, complete circumnavigation of the mountain? Assuming one could get through the terrain in a single day?
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

drm

Post by drm » August 25th, 2020, 6:04 am

leiavoia wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 3:56 pm
Does this seem like a once-a-year thing, or just the latest in a series of announcements?
It's a once a year thing. They always have some opening, but last year it was one day in October I think. So much better this year.
Charley wrote:but would that allow for a permitted, legal, complete circumnavigation of the mountain? Assuming one could get through the terrain in a single day?
That's what it looks like, by the high route through Sunrise Camp and Iceberg Lake (i.e. staying within Tract D and not going below it). You could email the address on the flyer to confirm.

oldandslow

Post by oldandslow » August 25th, 2020, 11:31 am

Does the Yakama Tribe have the legal authority to exclude non-Indians from Tract D? The Treaty of 1855 sets aside reservation lands for the "exclusive use and benefit" of the tribes.
Richard Nixon's Executive Order 11670 provides for the transfer of Tract D to the Secretary of the Interior for the "use and benefit" of the Yakama Tribe.
I do not know the answer but there must be some Latin legal maxim that covers interpretation of this sort of legal draftsmanship.

drm

Post by drm » September 1st, 2020, 7:16 am

oldandslow wrote:
August 25th, 2020, 11:31 am
Does the Yakama Tribe have the legal authority to exclude non-Indians from Tract D?
Apparently so. I'm not basing that on any legal analysis, but on the facts on the ground. They have done so since the Cougar Creek Fire. But I am hopeful that this opening will result in a plug of fundraising that will convince them to have a more general opening next year. I plan to go to Bird Creek Meadows on the first day of the opening, weather permitting, and will report here. I have heard reports that the road up has been greatly improved and that has long been an issue for people. I know it's weekdays only, and that will make it impossible for some of you. But if you can, please go, follow the rules, and support the Yakama efforts there.
Last edited by drm on September 1st, 2020, 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 1st, 2020, 7:59 am

The tribes have a history of being abused

If they ask me not to go somewhere, I won't go. It won't right historical wrongs, but at least it won't add to them

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » September 1st, 2020, 8:38 am

7am-6pm?! :shock:
Hardly worth the drive, but maybe I could do a little add-on hike along the way ;)