General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
guamsean

maps

Post by guamsean » August 13th, 2020, 10:41 am

best place to buy maps? REI? thanks

buckwheat

Re: maps

Post by buckwheat » August 13th, 2020, 3:40 pm

I know you specifically said buy maps, but with your smart phone, unless youre going to be gone long enough for your battery to die, or you really love the tactile feel of paper maps, the USFS has great free maps in pdf form for download.***

https://data.fs.usda.gov/geodata/raster ... states.php

At least for my pixel as everything is synced by my gmail account, when I open a pdf on my computer, I have an option to right click and 'send to phone' and my phone downloads it directly, which is great as the website I linked is a little bulky and laggy to use on your phone from my experience.

*** I know I know, relying on your phone is "dangerous", but for 90% of of the people, 95% of the time, its fine to not carry a paper map.

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » August 13th, 2020, 3:45 pm

I print mine out for the very specific place I am hiking using CalTopo

texasbb

Post by texasbb » August 13th, 2020, 4:55 pm

If it's a short enough trip to fit on an 8.5x11 page or two, I print from caltopo.com as mentioned above. If it's an all on-trail trip in the PNW, sometimes a Green Trails map will do. For longer trips, mytopo.com will print your custom area on waterproof paper for about $17 (24" x 36") plus shipping, IIRC. The interface is atrocious but the outcome is nice.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » August 14th, 2020, 6:34 am

This is not great for fine detail, but if you like getting the lay of the land with a big paper map, whether it's a ranger district map or a national forest map, you can buy those at the USGS map store: https://store.usgs.gov/maps

Green Trails doesn't have nearly as much coverage in Oregon as it does for Washington, but those are great for hiking. As are the Trails Illustrated maps, which you can buy on Amazon.

walrus

Post by walrus » August 14th, 2020, 7:36 am

Portland: Mountain Shop, Powells, Next Adventure, REI.

Adventure Maps is another mapmaker with some good Oregon maps. You can often find them at the above.

But yeah, phones are the way of the future, it appears. I still prefer to unfold a map and put myself in it - phones have too much pinching and zooming in and out for my liking.

guamsean

Post by guamsean » August 14th, 2020, 8:34 am

great tips- i never considered Powells. i'm not terribly map-literate, and need one for the timberline trail, specifically. not too eager to rely on phone. i might print one from the sites provided. stopped by REI in clackamas yesterday and their selection was pretty thin. thanks!

jessbee

Post by jessbee » August 14th, 2020, 9:03 am

I second the Adventure Maps recommendation. They are based in Salem, Oregon and you can order from their website, they ship same day. I just grabbed a Sawtooths map from them for a last minute itinerary change.

I know Green Trails makes a lot of maps for the Mt Hood area, maybe you can order direct from them too.
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

texasbb

Post by texasbb » August 14th, 2020, 9:48 am

guamsean wrote:
August 14th, 2020, 8:34 am
great tips- i never considered Powells. i'm not terribly map-literate, and need one for the timberline trail, specifically. not too eager to rely on phone. i might print one from the sites provided. stopped by REI in clackamas yesterday and their selection was pretty thin. thanks!
The Green Trails Mount Hood Map 462S is perfect for Timberline. They've apparently updated it and now call it the 462SX; not sure what changed but you can get it here, here, and no doubt other places.