Angry Mountain and P 5245, 080320

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Don Nelsen

Angry Mountain and P 5245, 080320

Post by Don Nelsen » August 6th, 2020, 4:51 pm

Angry Mountain looked interesting on the map and I was curious as to why it was angry so set off to see what I could discover. The info I found on the web indicated the trail was recently restored. Kelly, who isn’t too interested in scrambling over logs and crashing through brush, signed on for the trek.

We stayed in Packwood and really enjoyed exploring the town. Elk are everywhere, wandering around, munching on the foliage and generally unafraid of people:

The next morning we took the short drive up road 21 from Packwood and headed out from the TH at 2,725’. This is an especially nice trail almost entirely devoid of steep sections or rocky patches. Much of the way is through very old second growth but most is old-growth. As we hiked we noted evidence of the recent cutting of well over a hundred large logs that had fallen over the trail. The crew that cleared this performed a herculean effort indeed!

Typical trail views:
IMG_8659.JPG
IMG_8662.JPG
A delicious sweet breeze from the west kept the bugs at bay and the temperature varied between 57 at the TH when we started to 71 upon finishing. A delightful day.

About 3 ¼ mile up the trail I took a short side trip to peak 5245. This turned out to be a big surprise, with the summit of this otherwise unremarkable bump covered in an assortment of huge columnar basalt. I’ve never seen such columns atop a ridge or peak before though there is a huge pile of them at the head of the Collins Point Slide between Dog Mt. and Wind Mt. Some of my TFF’s call that the “Field of the Fallen”. Interesting geology in both places, for sure.

Summit of P 5245:
IMG_8674.JPG
IMG_8677.JPG
Continuing on, Kel was less than pleased with all the recently fallen trees she had to navigate but soldiered on nevertheless. We counted 39 trees down on the trail, with lots of them 2’ diameter and more. Still, that’s not bad for 6.1 miles of trail. Here she is tackling another one:

And yet another. All these fallen trees were a bit of a surprise after reading that the trail had recently been cleared. Must have been a tough winter! Kel is talking to me again, though, and luckily Hawaii is still requiring a 14 day quarantine or I'd need to take her there again to atone! I'm kidding a bit about that: She loved the hike, the deep forest, the challenge and especially the perfect temperature.

Kel practically hopped over this one. Darned fine work, especially for a 68 year old!

The trail doesn’t go to the actual summit but the final ¼ mile off trail is through sloping flower-strewn meadows so is a delight. The summit is a ridge with spectacular views of a ridge on the far west end of the Goat Rocks as well as Adams and St. Helens. Rainier is easily viewed but somewhat obstructed through the trees.
IMG_8701.JPG
IMG_8710.JPG
IMG_8711.JPG
IMG_8724.JPG

This is the view from the northeast side of the summit. On the left is Johnson Peak and the pointy one in the right center is Hawkeye Point. The Goat Rocks are hidden behind this ridge.

No clue on why the mountain is/was angry. With views like that, it should be Happy Mt.

A few more photos:

Evidence of recent large log removal:
IMG_8763.JPG
This photo is from a rocky and very airy outcrop on the southwest side of the summit ridge:

The map:
Angry Mountain.jpg
Total distance on-trail, 12.2 miles, Off-trail, 1.3. 4,569’ EG. Hike # 70

dn
Attachments
IMG_8667.JPG
Last edited by Don Nelsen on April 25th, 2021, 11:35 am, edited 8 times in total.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

jessbee

Re: Angry Mountain and P 5245, 080320

Post by jessbee » August 6th, 2020, 5:49 pm

Thanks for the report! I've always been curious about Angry mountain. Now I'll definitely have to go check it out, as well as the nearby unnamed peak.

This weekend I'm following some of your beta from summitpost on Goat peak :) I appreciate all your contributions to local hiking knowledge, Don.
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

cfm

Post by cfm » August 7th, 2020, 8:53 am

Thanks for sharing your explorations Don! Another one to add to my list. Love these quiet mountains in the Gifford. Will be visiting South Point LO site nearby on my tour next week.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » August 7th, 2020, 3:09 pm

Those columns are amazing! Thanks for the report!

texasbb

Post by texasbb » August 7th, 2020, 5:12 pm

Great report, thanks for sharing it. I was within a few hours of doing that hike (as part of a longer loop) earlier this year, but I bailed because I couldn't get confirmation on the meltout conditions. Love that columnar garbage dump!

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » August 7th, 2020, 7:19 pm

jessbee wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 5:49 pm
Thanks for the report! I've always been curious about Angry mountain. Now I'll definitely have to go check it out, as well as the nearby unnamed peak.

This weekend I'm following some of your beta from summitpost on Goat peak :) I appreciate all your contributions to local hiking knowledge, Don.
Thank you for the nice compliment, Jess! Have fun on Goat Peak.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 8th, 2020, 6:43 am

Don's information on summitpost preceded oregonhikers.org/portlandhikers.com. I've used it before :)

jessbee

Post by jessbee » August 10th, 2020, 6:05 am

retired jerry wrote:
August 8th, 2020, 6:43 am
Don's information on summitpost preceded oregonhikers.org/portlandhikers.com. I've used it before :)
Don is the OG Oregon hiker :)

Don, I did not scramble the last 20 feet with no rope and no partner but it was so fun rambling around there and I will go back with gear.
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos