Indian Heaven - Bird Mt. Loop

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
acoulombe

Indian Heaven - Bird Mt. Loop

Post by acoulombe » August 2nd, 2020, 9:24 pm

Planning a 2 night excursion next weekend and was wondering if anybody has been in the area recently with a report on mosquitos.

Thanks in advance!

drm

Re: Indian Heaven - Bird Mt. Loop

Post by drm » August 3rd, 2020, 6:22 am

To be perfectly honest, it wouldn't help that much if you got such a report. The mosquito density varies so much by location and day and weather. It is good that the big heat wave will be a week past. You have to be prepared for them, but you very well could get lucky and not have that many. And even better if you could go during the chilly and breezy weather forecast for later this week.

acoulombe

Post by acoulombe » August 5th, 2020, 5:30 am

I understand, I've spent since time in the woods. However, if a big hatch happens, that would decrease the likelihood of another. It's also just nice to know what others have experienced recently.

acoulombe

Post by acoulombe » August 18th, 2020, 11:12 pm

Very few mosquitos for those of you considering IHW. I didn't even use my deet. Very enjoyable trip with the family and it was the first time backpacking for my 10yo daughter. She was a trooper. The mosquitos were the only thing that I thought could ruin the trip and they were minimal. The wind kept them at bay almost completely.