Boy Scout Ridge July 14, 2020

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Webfoot

Boy Scout Ridge July 14, 2020

Post by Webfoot » July 19th, 2020, 8:05 am

This was a pleasant time to hike Boy Scout Ridge. The lower woods were beautiful, and there was bear grass in bloom along most of the upper half of the trail with a nice climax at the exit of the woods into the alpine meadow. The bear grass should be at peak right now so I suggest getting out there if it interests you.
Attachments
8242_stitch.jpg
8234.jpg
8210.jpg
8199_stitch.jpg
8134.jpg
8125.jpg
8117.jpg
8115.jpg
8087.jpg
8081_stitch.jpg
8054.jpg
8032_stitch.jpg

squidvicious

Re: Boy Scout Ridge July 14, 2020

Post by squidvicious » July 26th, 2020, 3:33 pm

Thanks for posting this. Whenever I start at Barlow I always wind up going Devils Half Acre / Palmateer / Twin Lakes. For some reason I never think to go the other way. This put it in my mind, and it was a near-perfect option for a scorching Sunday. Up high away from the worst of the heat with plenty of shade, easy access all on the highway, and (despite it being a weekend and hoards trying to escape to the mountain) virtually no people.

"Near-perfect" because the winds were whipping, so up around the viewpoint area it was full-on desert sandstorm territory. My view was mostly of the grit sandblasting my eyeballs, and of my hand as I tried to cover them. So that part of the plan didn't go quite perfectly, but otherwise it was 99% spot-on for a day like today.

Chip Down

Re: Boy Scout Ridge July 14, 2020

Post by Chip Down » July 27th, 2020, 6:57 pm

squidvicious wrote:
July 26th, 2020, 3:33 pm
Thanks for posting this. Whenever I start at Barlow I always wind up going Devils Half Acre / Palmateer / Twin Lakes. For some reason I never think to go the other way. This put it in my mind, and it was a near-perfect option for a scorching Sunday. Up high away from the worst of the heat with plenty of shade, easy access all on the highway, and (despite it being a weekend and hoards trying to escape to the mountain) virtually no people.

"Near-perfect" because the winds were whipping, so up around the viewpoint area it was full-on desert sandstorm territory. My view was mostly of the grit sandblasting my eyeballs, and of my hand as I tried to cover them. So that part of the plan didn't go quite perfectly, but otherwise it was 99% spot-on for a day like today.
Oh man...That part of the mountain can be brutally dusty. Specifically, on the day you reference, the skies were brown in the Timberline neighborhood. The main culprit is the White River Canyon. If you've ever been in that canyon on a windy day, you're probably still picking sand out of all your crevices.

Speaking of "virtually no people", I saw one hiker Sunday, none on Monday :D

But regarding the OP: Never done that, has been on my to-do list for years!