Whatsit #2 -- Teenie tiny white flowers

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
texasbb

Whatsit #2 -- Teenie tiny white flowers

Post by texasbb » July 24th, 2020, 4:13 pm

A second plant seen on the N. Fork Tieton Tr. The whole plant is maybe 6-7 inches across. The flowers are so tiny I almost didn't notice them looking from head level.

adamschneider

Re: Whatsit #2 -- Teenie tiny white flowers

Post by adamschneider » July 24th, 2020, 7:21 pm

It's a miner's lettuce, probably Claytonia rubra: http://science.halleyhosting.com/nature ... /rubra.htm

texasbb

Post by texasbb » July 25th, 2020, 2:07 pm

Thanks, @adamschneider! I swear asking on this board is faster (and more informative) than google.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » July 25th, 2020, 6:55 pm

texasbb wrote:
July 25th, 2020, 2:07 pm
Thanks, @adamschneider! I swear asking on this board is faster (and more informative) than google.
Uploading to iNaturalist can be helpful too. You don't have to go all the way through with it and create an "observation," but sometimes their ID robots can get you pointed in the right direction. C. rubra was their first suggestion for yours.

texasbb

Post by texasbb » July 26th, 2020, 11:44 am

adamschneider wrote:
July 25th, 2020, 6:55 pm
texasbb wrote:
July 25th, 2020, 2:07 pm
Uploading to iNaturalist can be helpful too. You don't have to go all the way through with it and create an "observation," but sometimes their ID robots can get you pointed in the right direction. C. rubra was their first suggestion for yours.
And all this time I thought you just knew all these plants. :)

I guess you have to sign up for that iNaturalist place...I couldn't figure out how to upload a picture. So I posted another Q on this board.