What is this trail on Mt Adams?

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
AlpenGlowHiker

What is this trail on Mt Adams?

Post by AlpenGlowHiker » July 22nd, 2020, 11:14 am

What is this trail between Muddy Meadows #13 trail and the PCT, on the north side of Mt Adams? I was just up there last weekend and I didn't see any sign of it; although if it's an old abandoned trail it may have just been over grown.

I did look at some historical maps, but I didn't see it there either. The caltopo map is using USFS 2016.

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=46.2710 ... =r3&n=0.06
Attachments
Trail on north side of mt adams.jpg

adamschneider

Re: What is this trail on Mt Adams?

Post by adamschneider » July 22nd, 2020, 11:16 pm

Well, for what it's worth, there's no trace of it on the Strava Heat Map either. So if it exists at all, it's definitely not popular.

Naturebat

Post by Naturebat » August 15th, 2020, 11:04 pm

I specifically tried searching for that trail a few years back, around the left side arrow in your map. (And specifically the section between Killen Creek and the PCT. Couldn't find anything really, although found quite a few somewhat used and sometimes extremely faded/overgrown user paths.
There is however, a user path down to the lowest pond in the Killen Creek Meadows area. Didn't look down there though.

Scoured that entire area on Google Earth as well, and found absolutely nothing there either. But I would imagine if it was an old trail, it was probably an old sheepherder's trail, old alignment of the PCT (CCT), (or both).
- Previously ElementalFX

oldandslow

Post by oldandslow » August 17th, 2020, 10:00 am

I have a 1991 edition of the Mt Adams Wilderness USFS map. It appears to me that the section of trail in question is a former location of the PCT which has been relocated in the area.