Elk Cove and Pinnacle Ridge

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
DannyH

Elk Cove and Pinnacle Ridge

Post by DannyH » August 1st, 2019, 7:11 am

The upper third of Pinnacle ridge had numerous trees across it as I made my way up to the TT yesterday. All were relatively easy to avoid. The upper third/half of the Elk Cove trail was a mess with piles of dead trees and limbs blocking the trail. Navigation wasn’t a problem, it there were a few places that required extra attention. It was clear the lower sections had been recently maintained, maybe the upper portions are next? Given the crowds at some of the west and south trailheads on Mount Hood it would be a real shame for these trails to fade out.
"It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out; it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

sheilakpdx

Re: Elk Cove and Pinnacle Ridge

Post by sheilakpdx » August 1st, 2019, 11:43 am

I was planning on heading up there soon...thanks for the info on the Elk Cove trail conditions. Are the few places that need extra attention a matter of climbing up over and around downed trees or more like doing some off trail navigation?

DannyH

Post by DannyH » August 2nd, 2019, 11:34 am

It's more finding a path around the piles of tree trunks and limbs. The huckleberry bushes are encroaching on the trail a lot as well, but if someone is paying attention it shouldn't be too difficult to keep on the right path. The only part I got turned around on was near the Timberline Trail where there are multiple short paths to camp sites.
"It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out; it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

sheilakpdx

Post by sheilakpdx » August 2nd, 2019, 12:32 pm

Got it - thanks DannyH!

erbombla

Post by erbombla » July 14th, 2020, 5:52 pm

Reviving this thread. I went up Pinnacle Ridge 7/8/20. It is still in need of maintenance. There are multiple blowdowns and most areas are overgrown. Snow melt has washed out parts of the trail nearer to the Timberline junction. I also encountered a black bear and her cub about a quarter mile from the trailhead. All that said, the views are spectacular. There are many unique flowers and other plants in bloom along the trail.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » July 14th, 2020, 10:08 pm

erbombla wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 5:52 pm
I also encountered a black bear and her cub about a quarter mile from the trailhead.
That's awesome!

Poor Pinnacle Ridge... it never gets any love, but it's so much more interesting than the Elk Cove Trail.