Timberline Trail 25-27

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Luke

Timberline Trail 25-27

Post by Luke » June 28th, 2020, 6:20 pm

Hiked the timberline trail starting Thursday 6/25. Left after work and started on the trail at 6pm. Hiked 6ish miles to paradise park and camped at split rock. Didn’t see a soul, had the whole place to myself. Friday I hiked 24ish miles to cooper spur. Saturday hiked remaining 14 miles and back to the lodge by noon. Lots of snow from McNeil to just past elk cove. Felt like I was laying fresh tracks through some sections. Nothing too crazy though. I was by myself and had a gps. No crampons or spikes. Everything was manageable. A couple crossings were still snow covered so that made it easy. Elliot and white river were most difficult due to flow and Sandy banks. Saw lots of wildlife like a coyote and some deer.

I think I saw a bear while heading up to paradise park. A little black bear? What do you think this is?

https://imgur.com/gallery/e1aPsbe

I’ll make a video of the trip with more details.

johnspeth

Re: Timberline Trail 25-27

Post by johnspeth » June 28th, 2020, 6:36 pm

Luke wrote:
June 28th, 2020, 6:20 pm
I think I saw a bear while heading up to paradise park. A little black bear? What do you think this is?
A bear would be my guess too. Even a big black bear looks little at that distance. Nice job spotting it from that distance. I suppose you can feel happy you didn't encounter it closer.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » June 28th, 2020, 7:36 pm

That seems to be the part of Mt. Hood where you're most likely to see bears. I haven't personally, but I've found lots of tracks.

If they see you, they'll run like hell in the other direction.

KDfishbiologist

Post by KDfishbiologist » June 29th, 2020, 12:31 am

Must’ve been your tracks I was following! I hiked to Split Rock and camped there on Friday (06/26). Felt like I had the whole place to myself too. One heck of a sunset up there!
Attachments
8B68C02C-1758-405E-9778-965926069D4C.jpeg

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 29th, 2020, 5:59 am

nice! First TT report I've seen this year

drm

Post by drm » June 29th, 2020, 7:05 am

Just want to point out to others considering this that you went during a heat wave, so the snow was soft and you could kick steps. It is likely much harder and more slippery now.

Luke

Post by Luke » June 29th, 2020, 7:16 am

I’m not much for writing trip reports but here are a couple more random snaps along the way.

https://imgur.com/gallery/8iVgvNB

https://imgur.com/gallery/MqARVCB

https://imgur.com/gallery/xiIHuIE

https://imgur.com/gallery/pbUsntv

Luke

Post by Luke » June 29th, 2020, 7:19 am

drm wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 7:05 am
Just want to point out to others considering this that you went during a heat wave, so the snow was soft and you could kick steps. It is likely much harder and more slippery now.
You are totally right. When I woke up at 5am and left cooper spur headed towards gnarl ridge I had to cross several chutes that were super icy that had to be a couple hundred feet down if you slipped and fell. I definitely had the “should you be doing this with zero traction” moments but I just took my time and trusted my poles

kkaz

Post by kkaz » June 30th, 2020, 10:36 am

Awesome post, and super helpful. Thanks so much. We are hoping to head out later this week and hike the trail Fri-Sat-Sun, but when we spoke with the rangers just now, they said it's too early in the season and the trail is snowed out. They said there's no way for us to go. Your post is giving us some hope that we may not need to abandon plans just yet. Do you have any additional intel on snow and trail conditions? Think there's a chance we could make the loop over this July 4 weekend? This last comment, about the icy chutes and the slippery slopes, is the one sticking point making us nervous...

Thanks in advance for any tips. And we loved your beautiful photos!

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » June 30th, 2020, 10:55 am

Went up to Mississippi Head via Split Rock again last Friday (6/26/20). Lots of now melted since the previous Friday, but still lots of snow between Timberline Lodge and ZZ overlook. Lots of snow in Paradise Park. That means the north side of Hood will have miles and miles of snow on the trail. Certain parts near the high point on the east side will have lots of snow.

You should have:
- GPS with the tracks
- Microspikes
- Hiking poles
- Experience hiking and navigating through snow

If not, I advise against going. There will still be a lot of snow covering parts of the trail this weekend.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports