Hike Suggestions Similar to Rainier's Skyline Trail

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
gallione11

Hike Suggestions Similar to Rainier's Skyline Trail

Post by gallione11 » June 28th, 2020, 3:17 pm

One of my favorite yearly trips has been cancelled this year due to hazard trees at Cougar Rock campground in Mount Rainier NP. Looking for some suggestions for hikes that are similar in scenery to the Skyline Trail at Paradise in Oregon around Hood or maybe Jefferson (Essentially alpine meadows with lots of flowers, and numerous creeks). Ideally similar length and elevation (6-8 miles, 1500-2500 feet elevation) but will consider all options. I'd be fine with longer -- convincing the girlfriend to go with me is another story. :D

Hood River Meadows loop is one I can think of that's got a bit of that, but it's a short section from what I remember (only about 2 miles of the hike is similar).

Thanks

johnspeth

Re: Hike Suggestions Similar to Rainier's Skyline Trail

Post by johnspeth » June 28th, 2020, 6:49 pm

Coldwater Peak area (Mt St Helens): endless views. The only problem is the road to JRO is closed so you'll need to hike in via the South Coldwater trail (230A). Bring a bike to make quick work of the flat walk along the road from the road gate to the trailhead. That plan is on the long side of your requirements.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » June 28th, 2020, 7:22 pm

On Mount Hood: Vista Ridge to Eden Park and Cairn Basin, or Top Spur to McNeil Point. The latter is a bit longer but arguably better.

drm

Post by drm » June 29th, 2020, 7:03 am

Bird Creek Meadows on Mt Adams would be an obvious choice - if it reopens this year. Parts of Goat Rocks have fantastic flowers too.

gallione11

Post by gallione11 » June 29th, 2020, 3:27 pm

All of these look promising. Thanks for the suggestions. Cairn Basin has definitely been added to the to-do list this summer since it's closeby.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » June 29th, 2020, 3:56 pm

gallione11 wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 3:27 pm
All of these look promising. Thanks for the suggestions. Cairn Basin has definitely been added to the to-do list this summer since it's closeby.
If you want close, the drive to Top Spur is quite a bit easier than the drive to Vista Ridge. And if you don't mind adding on a couple of hiking miles, you can visit Cairn Basin and/or Eden Park as a side-trip to the McNeil Point hike.