What is a developed trailhead?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Aimless

Re: What is a developed trailhead?

Post by Aimless » May 23rd, 2020, 10:34 am

I understand your reluctance to reveal your "target site" on the internet.

It might be possible to sleuth this over the phone, either by calling the district station, the national forest headquarters, or the NW regional headquarters. The Oregonian does get stuff wrong. A couple of days ago they announced on the front page that Hass had won the democratic primary for SoS and they had to print a retraction and apology on the next day's front page. The USFS is the authoritative source for this info.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » May 23rd, 2020, 10:49 am

Thanks for the tip. FWIW, I know my target site is closed now, I really want to camp at Multnomah Falls. (Haha just kidding!) I just wanted to be prepared if the language of the opening was vague.

Ideas for alternates (Just in case) within a couple hours of Portland? (Not south though)

Aimless

Post by Aimless » May 23rd, 2020, 11:08 am

There are many places in both northern OR and southern WA where the PCT crosses minor forest roads well away from wilderness area boundaries. These are not treated as trailheads, they have no parking area and no signage. It's just a forgettable road-trail intersection no one cares about. You could use one of these as a jump-off point to hike to a backpackable camping spot.

I prefer not to mention any specifically, because you just know the pent-up demand is high enough that just naming a spot is the same as when a honeybee does its dance in front of the hive to tell every other bee where the flowers are. Those flowers get ransacked soon afterward. Just saying this much will send a dozen ORHikers scrambling for their maps! :D

mjirving

Post by mjirving » May 23rd, 2020, 11:18 am

I think trailheads are generally open in Washington now aren’t they? Except the gorge.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 23rd, 2020, 11:19 am

Badger Creek

wait a second, if a location is mentioned, then there will be a mob scene, you can't mention anything specific

something on the east side would tend to be less crowded

Limey

Post by Limey » May 23rd, 2020, 11:40 am

Well, I did a little session with The Google this morning. The only state I found that would answer that question was Colorado. In Colorado, a developed trailhead is one that has bathrooms, picnic areas and parking lots.
Why no-one else is willing to disclose their definitions is beyond me.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » May 23rd, 2020, 12:57 pm

...because they like to make our life difficult haha. I guess we can at least plead ignorance if we go forth in good faith.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 23rd, 2020, 7:39 pm

Hey Mike, seems like we haven't seen much of you lately. I've been wondering what you're up to.

I see gates locked, but of course that's not always possible. When gated, I see some areas prohibit access, while I believe others areas allow walk-in users. What a mess. If only there was some way to get where you want to go without using a trail. ;)

mjirving

Post by mjirving » May 23rd, 2020, 9:40 pm

Thanks Chip. Yeah I’ve been busy, so no trip reports. I thought I’d have time to catch up in quarantine, but then home projects got in the way. Haha. I’ve been hiking Bull Mountain in Tigard everyday but I’m ready to try something new one of these days. Haha.