Cazadero Trail - Boring, OR

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
johnspeth

Re: Cazadero Trail - Boring, OR

Post by johnspeth » May 20th, 2020, 11:21 am

I tried to ride the Cazadero trail last summer after biking to it from Sellwood. It was after a couple of days of rain and I found a trail that was puddled and muddy along the flat parts (most of it) so I turned around after a couple of miles. I know it seems like the trail is "already there" but this thread indicates a different story, although it's good news to me.

Wikipedia says the trail has plans to eventually connect to the PCT. I don't know exactly where that could be but I'm guessing near Timothy Lake. Wouldn't that be totally cool? Multi day bike trekking on exclusive non-motorized trail! From a business perspective, it's a bike tourist gem.

And for the west side of Portland, I've heard of plans to use the old Salmonberry River RR to link the coast with the Banks/Vernonia trail! I hope I'll see it in my lifetime.

miah66

Post by miah66 » May 20th, 2020, 11:24 am

I hope I'll see it in my lifetime.
I'm 42. I am as well, but i'm not sure it'll happen.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 20th, 2020, 11:40 am

looking at it for a while and doing some googling which includes going to the field guide

Springwater trail goes from Sellwood to Gresham

I think this cazadero trail continues from the springwater trail in Gresham to Estacada and the Clackamas River

It would be cool to get up to Mt Hood, like Zigzag trail, but cazadero doesn't do that

I think

miah66

Post by miah66 » May 20th, 2020, 12:35 pm

RJ,

springwater goes to Boring. Cazadero trail goes from Boring to just shy of Barton b/c of non-existant Deep Creek crossing. So once this crossing is bridged, you will be able to go from portland most of the way to Estacada w/o being on a motorized trail.

Instagram @pdxstrider

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 20th, 2020, 12:45 pm

thanks

that's almost what I figured out :)

it would be nice if you could get up to Mt Hood, Zigzag Trail, maybe some day

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » May 20th, 2020, 2:08 pm

I'm happy to hear they're going to be connecting it, but I sure hope that turns it into something worthy of that investment. Otherwise that's a darn expensive malarial dog walking path.

miah66

Post by miah66 » May 20th, 2020, 2:22 pm

RE: the expense involved or whatever, from the Bike Portland article https://bikeportland.org/2020/05/18/met ... eek-314933:
In 2013, Metro estimated the bridge project would serve over 327,000 annual biking and walking trips and would have an economic benefit of over $6.4 million in the first five years post-construction.
So yea, i think this is a wise investment.

Here is some more info of the area/history/pics/maps for anyone interested.

http://www.brian894x4.com/Springwaterra ... iteup.html

Instagram @pdxstrider

Aimless

Post by Aimless » May 20th, 2020, 2:41 pm

squidvicious wrote:
May 20th, 2020, 2:08 pm
Otherwise that's a darn expensive malarial dog walking path.
I didn't know malaria was endemic to Oregon. :shock: :shock: Time to lay in that supply of hydroxychloroquine. :roll:

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 20th, 2020, 3:10 pm

If there's an infrastructure of trails, it improves the quality of life, encourages companies to move here, especially higher paid jobs

I've walked on the Springwater trail both in Gresham and Sellwood

BigBear

Post by BigBear » May 20th, 2020, 6:14 pm

Perhaps you could go back in time (reverse of Michael J Fox in Back to the Future III) and cross the tressle that once existed. Wait, not that wouldn't work, he and Doc Brown would be on a train crossing the tressle when you pop back in time. Oh well, it's not like there's not 14,000 miles of logging roads in MHNF to bicycle on (at least that's the number I vaguely recall from some environmental propaganda about logging and the roads they made).

I walked that trail once and I was somewhat disappointed too...a road to nowhere.