Cazadero Trail - Boring, OR

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
miah66

Cazadero Trail - Boring, OR

Post by miah66 » April 28th, 2017, 11:25 am

I recently rode the Cazadero Trail in Boring to where it ends at a steep drop into Deep Creek. On the other side, it is private property, a resort of some sort managed by a church group, so there is no public access. I emailed the Parks Dept to get some information about future plans for this segment of trail. Here is the response I got from Guy Rodrigue, park manager of OPRD.
Thank you for taking the time to email The Oregon Parks and Recreation Department regarding the Cazadero Trail. Your message made it to me as the local land manager who oversees the Cazadero trail.

I’ll do my best to fill you in on the history of the trail and where we are at with the development. If you like visual aids, I also attached a document that does a pretty good job of explaining where we’re at in the process.

The trail development began in the early 2000s when the majority of our efforts were devoted to reviewing the landscape, creating a development guide, and resolving property issues along or on the trail. Since that time, we’ve constructed roughly 7 miles of trail, 3 miles outside of Boring, OR and an additional 3.5 miles between Barton and Eagle Creek which leaves the gap over Deep Creek as you mentioned.

We’ve recently secured funding for the bridge over Goose Creek which will eliminate the only gap between the town of Eagle Creek and Barton. The next phases will be constructing the trail into the Estacada and ever Eagle Creek leaving only the gap over Deep Creek and the Hwy 224 crossing. This section will be the last to be constructed due to the complexity of design, property limitations with adjacent landowners, and the overall cost of constructing two large bridges over Deep Creek and North Fork Deep Creek (estimated to be as high as $8 million).

I apologize for the various stressors you encountered on your ride. We fully expect the completed trail will provide the type of experience cyclists are looking for. As far as citizen action groups, I’m unaware of any at this time. You could try to connect with Clackamas County in regards to their Active Transportation Plan.

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly.
So there you go. Encouraging, though not ideal as there is no timetable for completion.

Link to some published info.

Pls PM if this link doesn't work for you.
Last edited by miah66 on April 28th, 2017, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

pablo

Re: Cazadero Trail - Boring, OR

Post by pablo » April 28th, 2017, 1:06 pm

Thx for the info, I'll have to a ride that way - that trestle across Eagle Creek would be awesome - I've wondered about it viewed from the highway. Link worked for me. What does
I apologize for the various stressors you encountered on your ride.
mean?

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Charley

Post by Charley » May 1st, 2017, 11:21 am

I've ridden this, and was so disappointed to find no reasonable connection from Boring to Barton. It's SO CLOSE! (I've tried bushwacking through the trees, but there's signage and fencing making that inadvisable. I've also tried leaving the path at Boring and following Amisigger Road and 232nd Drive, but that leaves one with steep, narrow, twisty and BUSY roads down to the Clackamas River; not too bad going downhill, but nerve wracking going back uphill, when hurried along by roaring rural truck drivers.)

I'm really happy to hear that they've secured funding for the bridge. It will make it possible to ride from Portland to Estacada along a non-motorized path. That's amazing! It could really help tourism in the Estacada area.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

miah66

Post by miah66 » May 1st, 2017, 5:44 pm

Charley wrote:I've ridden this, and was so disappointed to find no reasonable connection from Boring to Barton. It's SO CLOSE! (I've tried bushwacking through the trees, but there's signage and fencing making that inadvisable. I've also tried leaving the path at Boring and following Amisigger Road and 232nd Drive, but that leaves one with steep, narrow, twisty and BUSY roads down to the Clackamas River; not too bad going downhill, but nerve wracking going back uphill, when hurried along by roaring rural truck drivers.)

I'm really happy to hear that they've secured funding for the bridge. It will make it possible to ride from Portland to Estacada along a non-motorized path. That's amazing! It could really help tourism in the Estacada area.
I'm very hopeful it will happen.

Yes! This was my experience that the manager remarked on. Going UP Amisigger! Very neve wracking! So much freaking traffic, I couldn't believe it.

Instagram @pdxstrider

jnrice

Post by jnrice » June 20th, 2017, 11:45 am

$8 Million?! I've been looking for places to trail run and this seemed like a really good option close to town. I'm not sure if you have found any community action type groups but I happen to own a business in the area and might be able to be a small part of fund raising when it comes time for that. It seems like connecting the two trails is the obvious thing to do.

In unrelated news, does anyone know of any other good local (dirt) trails for running?

EstacadaEcDev

Post by EstacadaEcDev » October 17th, 2017, 3:13 pm

Hi everyone,

My name is Matt Lorenzen. I am a staff person for the City of Estacada. I oversee economic development, and tourism development is a big part of that. I saw this post about the Cazadero Trail and thought some of you might be interested in lending some of your energy to trying to make a completed/connected Cazadero Trail a reality. Please email me at [email protected] if you would like to know more about what I have in mind. The Clackamas County tourism dept. aka Mt. Hood Territory is interested in supporting the project but there are a few prerequisites before they invest time, energy, and money in the project. We need an advocacy and trail maintenance-type group. A "friends of" the Cazadero Trail as it were. I am trying to identify any and all such folks.
I look forward to hearing from you.

-Matt

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » October 18th, 2017, 6:32 am

Thanks for posting, Matt. I'm bringing this to the attention of Trailkeepers of Oregon Executive Director.

EstacadaEcDev

Post by EstacadaEcDev » May 20th, 2020, 9:56 am

In case y'all missed it. Metro bought the acreage necessary so that the connection can be made.
A complete trail is likely still years away, but this is a good step in the right direction!
https://www.oregonmetro.gov/news/metro- ... ate-trail

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 20th, 2020, 11:14 am

where would the trail go from/to?

miah66

Post by miah66 » May 20th, 2020, 11:18 am

RJ,

click the link to the Metro article, it tells you all about it.

Instagram @pdxstrider