Confused - What is Open or Allowed during Covid Quarantine?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
xrp

Re: Confused - What is Open or Allowed during Covid Quarantine?

Post by xrp » May 13th, 2020, 5:28 pm

retired jerry wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 9:05 am
Oregon has avoided large number of deaths. If you look at deaths per million population, only 5 states are better than us. But I think we had more risk because of proximity to Washington and California, our high tech industry associating with China and other countries.
We will avoid even more deaths if no one ever leaves their home.

Here is just one small example:

According to the National Safety Council, 489 people were killed in car crashes in 2019 in Oregon - a 4% increase from 2018. :o

Aimless

Post by Aimless » May 13th, 2020, 7:13 pm

Auto collisions are not contagious at exponential rates. And fatal crashes do not kill approximately 1% of those who transport themselves in motor vehicles as drivers or passengers. Other than that, a close comparison. :roll:

xrp

Post by xrp » May 14th, 2020, 6:05 am

Aimless wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 7:13 pm
Auto collisions are not contagious at exponential rates. And fatal crashes do not kill approximately 1% of those who transport themselves in motor vehicles as drivers or passengers. Other than that, a close comparison. :roll:
Sorry, your data is incorrect. :lol:

bushwhacker

Post by bushwhacker » May 19th, 2020, 3:37 pm

Well here's another one on the closed list: https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/mthood/a ... ?aid=58473

Date(s): May 14, 2020

The gate to Laurance Lake has been CLOSED due to the amount of vandalism, camping, and abandoned campfires at the lake over the past several weeks. This has been done in coordination with law enforcement, the concessionaire, and MFID.

One can only imagine what all of the so called dispersed camping spots are going to look like after the up coming three day weekend.

It's been interesting to watch this whole thing unfold and how it's brought out the best in some people and the worst in others.

emy1885

Post by emy1885 » May 21st, 2020, 6:46 am

I just found this on the USDA/FS site regarding OR and WA:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/r6/about-region/offices

Guy

Post by Guy » May 25th, 2020, 5:38 pm

Keeping the trailheads closed has become a bad joke. All it's doing now is increasing the amount of dangerous parking along Hwy26.

We drove to the Criterion Ranch on Sunday (92 miles from home so just within the Govenors 50 miles per person rule ;) ) We drove there and back without stopping and on our 12.6 mile hike crossed paths with only 7 people.

On the way home over Hood we saw multiple places where cars are having to park on the side of 26 next to empty blocked off parking lots. Trillium Lake must have had 50 cars pulled off on the side of the road. It was the same thing at Mirror Lake. A frog lake someone just pushed the barrier off into the weeds and so the lot was being used!

Nothing is being gained by keeping these trailheads closed open them up already! People who care will look for quiet places or go at times when it's quiet. Those who dont wont, nothing is going to change that.

No covid here :)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 25th, 2020, 6:04 pm

Tualatin wildlife refuge, highway 99W, near Sherwood - gate closed, cars parked on highway

I think that would be allowed.

Maybe theyll open the gate

Aimless

Post by Aimless » May 25th, 2020, 6:11 pm

Guy wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 5:38 pm
We drove to the Criterion Ranch on Sunday (92 miles from home so just within the Govenors 50 miles per person rule ;) )
Yup. That's an, um, interesting interpretation of the "rule". (Which was actually phrased a request I think.)

Guy

Post by Guy » May 25th, 2020, 6:16 pm

Aimless wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 6:11 pm
Guy wrote:
We drove to the Criterion Ranch on Sunday (92 miles from home so just within the Govenors 50 miles per person rule ;) )
Yup. That's an, um, interesting interpretation of the "rule". (Which was actually phrased a request I think.)
Just having a little fun :)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Guy

Post by Guy » May 25th, 2020, 6:19 pm

Guy wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 6:16 pm
Aimless wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 6:11 pm
Guy wrote:
Just having a little fun :)

Though it does point out I could have honored the request and gone for a 12 mile hike on the Spring Water trail 6 miles from home and come into contact with 500 people plus! or drive 92 miles & come into contact with 7. I think my option was better!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors