Oregon wilderness permit system for Three Sisters, Jefferson delayed until 2021

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
retired jerry

Re: Oregon wilderness permit system for Three Sisters, Jefferson delayed until 2021

Post by retired jerry » May 11th, 2020, 6:04 am

I could probably figure out how to post something as moderator but I'm too lazy

justpeachy

Re: Oregon wilderness permit system for Three Sisters, Jefferson delayed until 2021

Post by justpeachy » May 11th, 2020, 12:07 pm

If those wilderness trailheads are not closed due to the virus I imagine that the trails will be even busier than usual, after everyone has been staying at home all spring. I wonder if the Forest Service will have seasonals and volunteers out there as usual, or if they'll decide that's too risky for the health and safety of those workers.

Of course, it's so dry here right now that early wildfires might thin out the crowds quite a bit.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » May 11th, 2020, 1:00 pm

The regional snow map of Oregon shows most of the state's river basins below 50% of normal right now. As I recall it, at the start of April they were all above 85%.

jessbee

Post by jessbee » May 11th, 2020, 1:01 pm

justpeachy wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 12:07 pm
If those wilderness trailheads are not closed due to the virus I imagine that the trails will be even busier than usual, after everyone has been staying at home all spring. I wonder if the Forest Service will have seasonals and volunteers out there as usual, or if they'll decide that's too risky for the health and safety of those workers.

Of course, it's so dry here right now that early wildfires might thin out the crowds quite a bit.
I'm sure they're scrambling to make a plan. I volunteered last summer but I haven't heard anything about possible volunteer opportunities this year. Still debating if I'm willing to do it, since the type of people who will show up en masse at the Green Lakes trailhead are probably not the type of people who are taking this at all seriously.
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos