Covid-19

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
A. Hugh Jass

Re: Covid-19

Post by A. Hugh Jass » March 19th, 2020, 5:44 am

Water wrote:
March 18th, 2020, 8:28 pm
Thanksfully we ain't got socialized government medicine so there will be no death panels!!!
Well, actually unless we can "flatten the curve", our medical system will decide who lives and who dies (essentially your "death panels"). Without protective measures that are finally being done our healthcare system will be beyond capacity.
curve.jpg
Yes, essentially "death panels" as you say under a very conservative federal government.

And for entertainment purposes here are some fantastic quotes from DJT:
"we have it [covid-19] totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It’s going to be just fine.”
On Jan. 24, he tweeted, “It will all work out well.”
Jan 31: in an interview “Coronavirus, how concerned are you?” DJT replied: “Well, we pretty much shut it down coming in from China.
DJT also continued to claim the situation was improving. On Feb. 26, he said: “We’re going down, not up. We’re going very substantially down, not up.”
Please refrain from confrontational off-topic responses. We need, more than ever, guidance from science. You know, scientists, those educated "liberal elites" - who create vaccines and methodologies for testing, analysis from tests for effectiveness, and methods for distribution.

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » March 19th, 2020, 6:08 am

NPS has suspended all entrance fees for National Parks due to COVID-19.

https://www.nps.gov/orgs/1207/national- ... pg0Gxkaeec

Not like it's a quick trip to a national park for any of us, but it's newsworthy nonetheless.

Even San Francisco's 'shelter in place' lockdown (which will surely be implemented here shortly) allows travel for outdoor recreation.

Maybe the USFS will follow suit by waiving NWFP enforcement, or better yet the oft-maligned new user fees down in the Jefferson/Sisters area.

Get outside, practice good social distancing, and enjoy Spring!
instagram: @remyodyssey

Water

Post by Water » March 19th, 2020, 8:12 am

removed
Last edited by Water on May 6th, 2020, 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel Free to Feel Free

drm

Post by drm » March 19th, 2020, 9:12 am

Even Rainier is open, which surprises me, even though some of the facilities are closed so that staff are not exposed to the public. Same at Crater Lake. In both parks, ranger stations are open for backpackers last I checked. I heard about a viral video of an absolutely packed visitor center at Grand Canyon.

So with gas prices likely to plummet due to the oil price war between Saudi Arabia and Russia, if you are self-sufficient, the upcoming period may be a great time to visit parks and national forests.

Oregon state parks are open for day use only. Campgrounds are closed.

As always, don't take any of the above information for granted if you are going. Things change constantly. Check before you go anywhere.

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » March 21st, 2020, 2:55 am

teachpdx wrote:
March 19th, 2020, 6:08 am
Maybe the USFS will follow suit by waiving NWFP enforcement, or better yet the oft-maligned new user fees down in the Jefferson/Sisters area.
That's my hope too but I have noticed that from year to year since the permit was required, enforcement has happened at the most popular trails and only on big summer weekends. I think we can consider it functionally waived.

chrisca

Post by chrisca » March 21st, 2020, 1:25 pm

Trailheads are already filling up. On Thursday, Catherine Creek had 100+ cars. Yesterday, the Dog Mountain lot was full. Even though Multnomah Falls has closed the indoor facilities, it was very crowded around the lodge. Don't go to the crowded places. The risk there is almost as bad as being downtown.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » March 22nd, 2020, 9:09 am

johnspeth wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 2:55 am
teachpdx wrote:
March 19th, 2020, 6:08 am
That's my hope too but I have noticed that from year to year since the permit was required, enforcement has happened at the most popular trails and only on big summer weekends. I think we can consider it functionally waived.
I think permits will be the least of your worries if people are discouraged or forbidden from hiking. I think we've all seen the "it's okay to play outside" messages this past week, but now there's pushback on that:

Outdoor Meccas Are Not a Social Distancing Hack

Coronavirus in Oregon: Coast town Warrenton orders tourists to leave, Astoria could follow

National parks have waived fees. But think twice about visiting.

By the time the mountains melt out and summer gets here, there is a strong possibility the pandemic will be a hundred times worse than it already is. Campgrounds, bathrooms, visitor centers, etc. will be closed and more small towns near outdoor recreation spots will be saying "go away". I won't be surprised if the message from officials will be "please stay home and don't visit public lands until this is over".

Aimless

Post by Aimless » March 22nd, 2020, 9:41 am

It's premature to speculate on what things might look like in a month, let alone next summer, but I will drop one idea into the hopper. There are many more miles of forest roads than of wilderness trails in the Mt. Hood, Gifford-Pinchot, or Willamette National Forests. They may not have nearly the beauty or sense of nature that trails provide, but for the stir-crazy seeking somewhere to walk without crowds, they will offer an alternative set of possibilities.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 22nd, 2020, 1:02 pm

In China they implemented extreme social distancing, now they have no new cases and are loosening restrictions

That might be the case here. Maybe in a month or two. If we do extreme enough social distancing to stop new infections.

jessbee

Post by jessbee » March 22nd, 2020, 7:36 pm

Aimless wrote:
March 22nd, 2020, 9:41 am
It's premature to speculate on what things might look like in a month, let alone next summer, but I will drop one idea into the hopper. There are many more miles of forest roads than of wilderness trails in the Mt. Hood, Gifford-Pinchot, or Willamette National Forests. They may not have nearly the beauty or sense of nature that trails provide, but for the stir-crazy seeking somewhere to walk without crowds, they will offer an alternative set of possibilities.
This. We know where all the crowds go. It is so crazy easy to avoid them. There are lots of places to roam on BLM and Forest Service land. Just be smart and be self sufficient and take care of yourself when you're out there.
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos