Discover Pass flier on windshield

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Chip Down

Discover Pass flier on windshield

Post by Chip Down » March 21st, 2020, 7:23 pm

This was on my car when I returned. I was parked 1.5 miles from nearest marked Discover Pass site.

Is this a warning? A reminder? An advertisement? I'm perplexed.
Attachments
20200321_163847.jpg
20200321_163855.jpg

Bosterson

Re: Discover Pass flier on windshield

Post by Bosterson » March 21st, 2020, 8:51 pm

I definitely think you should call the 24-hour Discover Pass hotline at 2am on a Wednesday. Ask them if their refrigerator is running and report back.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » March 21st, 2020, 8:55 pm

I think technically they require it on ANY state-owned land, posted or not. If this is from your Silver Star trip today, then your car was in Yacolt Burn State Forest (and about 50 feet from Gifford-Pinchot NF, but close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades).

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 22nd, 2020, 5:01 am

I think you should call that number and if anyone answers ask them why they aren't staying home, essential services only during covid-19 shutdown :)

Aimless

Post by Aimless » March 22nd, 2020, 8:51 am

Have you guys ever interacted with automated phone systems before?
Press 1 for Yes.
Press 2 for No.
Press 3 for I Don't Know.
Press 4 for more options.
Press 5 to repeat this message.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » March 22nd, 2020, 10:04 am

They have issued tickets down the road from GV, near where you started. But it's unsigned, and those (that I'm aware of) were dismissed when challenged.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

beag

Post by beag » March 22nd, 2020, 10:35 am

I drove by Beacon Rock about 2 yesterday and there were cars nearly 1 mile from the rock. All parking areas were full. There were at least two state troopers there, one at the gate up to Hamilton Trailhead and the other at the ranger station. Unsure if they were directing traffic or something else. Always puzzled why Equestrian trailhead don't get more publicity from Rangers as there is a lot of parking up there and one can either hike to Hamilton or Hardy Ridge. 95% of the people know about Hamilton but very few know about HR.

drm

Post by drm » March 22nd, 2020, 11:10 am

So it does appear that the pass is required for parking on any state recreation lands. But if Karl was so parked, why didn't they just give him a ticket?

And I do know of at least one place where there was a sign on the road saying something like "entering Discover Pass zone" and then another a ways down when leaving it.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » March 22nd, 2020, 11:43 am

drm wrote:
March 22nd, 2020, 11:10 am
So it does appear that the pass is required for parking on any state recreation lands. But if Karl was so parked, why didn't they just give him a ticket?
Wasn't my ticket. But a letter to the court stating there was no signage was unanswered, and presumed to have settled the issue. It does seem that DNR would like to have that pass whenever parking on land they manage, but the courts may feel that simply having that desire, unstated, isn't sufficient?
drm wrote:
March 22nd, 2020, 11:10 am
And I do know of at least one place where there was a sign on the road saying something like "entering Discover Pass zone" and then another a ways down when leaving it.
Yeah, I know the sign you're speaking of. A couple-few miles before the south ridge pullout, right? Given there's no sign saying you're leaving the restricted zone, it would appear rather ambiguous for enforceability, eh?
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

drm

Post by drm » March 22nd, 2020, 12:40 pm

I would hope signage would be required to give a ticket, but I ain't no lawyer.