Wahkeena-Multnomah loop 3/20/2020

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
klossner

Wahkeena-Multnomah loop 3/20/2020

Post by klossner » March 21st, 2020, 11:56 am

I started at the Multnomah Falls parking lot off I-84 and hiked the Multnomah-Wahkeena Loop Hike counter-clockwise. Back in the day this would have been a quick jaunt, but as the first hike of spring for a senior citizen, it presented enough of a challenge. The trail itself is in fine condition with no remnants of winter.

At 1pm on a Friday, that parking lot was two-thirds full. The Multnomah Falls and Wahkeena Falls parking lots on the old highway were completely full, with drivers circling like vultures hoping for a spot.

Social distancing was interesting. When someone approached from the other direction, I would step well off the trail and wait for them to pass. Most of them thanked me.

I saw this flower at low elevations along Wahkeena Creek. My flower expert friends can't identify it.
UnknownFlower.jpg

OregonSurveyor

Re: Wahkeena-Multnomah loop 3/20/2020

Post by OregonSurveyor » March 21st, 2020, 12:17 pm

Looks like Salmonberry in bloom.
Did you see the new large maps at 6 junctions? Two friends of mine were instrumental in planning and installing them!
Jerry King
Oregon Land Surveyor (Retired)
SAR Volunteer - CSAR (Clackamas County Sheriff)

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » March 21st, 2020, 4:06 pm

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » March 21st, 2020, 6:12 pm

Yes, it's salmonberry. I hope your "flower expert" friends have day jobs. :)

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » March 21st, 2020, 7:41 pm

Thank you for another installment of "This is why we can't have nice things." :roll:
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » March 22nd, 2020, 9:31 am

Fortunately these people aren't early risers. I pulled in to Multnomah Falls at 7:15 this morning, and didn't hit anyone else on the trail until halfway through. Then maybe a half dozen parties total strung out going down Wahkeena. Weirdly, the Wahkeena parking lot was already more than half full, but there were all of three cars at Multnomah Falls. A fairly steady stream of people heading in from the freeway side, though, and some in large groups :(

Due to some health issues, my "hiking" has been almost entirely limited to the Multnomah-Wahkeena loop 3X a week for the better part of the last year, and "avoid other people" is my normal mode. It's not really a problem for me yet--at my hours I don't encounter people much until around Fairy Falls or so. But down from there there's been a big jump in people all week long, plus an increase in general asshattery. I will be extremely pissed if they wind up having to close the trails.
OregonSurveyor wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 12:17 pm
Did you see the new large maps at 6 junctions? Two friends of mine were instrumental in planning and installing them!
Yes, those are great! Six junctions? *Does mental review* Must be, Lemmons Viewpoint, Vista Point, Wahkeena Spring, Devil's Rest, Larch... What am I missing?

Wish there were one down at the Wahkeena trailhead. Between the bridge and the Perdition junction is usually where I get the most people stopping me to ask, "Do you know where the heck I'm going?"

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » March 22nd, 2020, 10:26 am

Someone have photos of these signs?
- Michael

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » March 22nd, 2020, 10:32 am

Not the actual sign, but this is the map. Iirc, the signs are exactly this plus "you are here" markers
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 709957.pdf

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » March 22nd, 2020, 11:36 am

There is a really confusing tweet from Multnomah Falls Lodge (whose twitter account is just listed as "Multnomah Falls") that says "all areas are temporarily closed." @CRGNSA retweeted it, but haven't said anything themselves about closures. But local news is citing the Lodge tweet and reporting it as Multnomah Falls is closed, which... I don't think it is? Confusing!

OregonSurveyor

Post by OregonSurveyor » March 22nd, 2020, 12:04 pm

Hey Squid,
Maybe the 6th map is at the junction that leads to the platform at the top of Multnomah Falls.
I think @Multnomah Falls’ tweet was meant to mean all Lodge facilities are closed (they had been keeping the restrooms open). But you’re correct @CRGNSA is tagging along and leaving the impression that even the trail is closed. They are also tweeting not to go to Dog Mtn or the waterfall alley in general.
Jerry King
Oregon Land Surveyor (Retired)
SAR Volunteer - CSAR (Clackamas County Sheriff)