Lower Deschutes Trail Camping Question

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
sallypdx

Lower Deschutes Trail Camping Question

Post by sallypdx » February 26th, 2020, 7:16 pm

Planning an overnight to the water tower area on the Deschutes Trail. I am wondering if I need to hang food or bring a bear canister. I am more concerned about rodents chewing holes in my new tent than I am about bigger critters. Thanks in advance for any advice on this topic!!

Bosterson

Re: Lower Deschutes Trail Camping Question

Post by Bosterson » February 26th, 2020, 9:37 pm

You should always hang your food if you can - critters, as you noted. I don't think there are bears in the Deschutes, though maybe someone will fact check that for me. Realistically you don't need a bear canister outside places like the Sierras, where bears are plentiful and habituated to humans. I hang my food everywhere in Oregon and Washington.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

sallypdx

Post by sallypdx » February 26th, 2020, 9:42 pm

Thanks much!!!

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » February 26th, 2020, 9:51 pm

Never keep food in your bag or tent overnight, anywhere, ever. The one time you do, you know what will happen!

I usually use an Op-Sak/Lok-Sak scent-proof plastic bag, or the much cheaper and more durable odor-proof mylar bags. You could hang the food in addition to bagging it, but i find that most of the time just nestling the scent-bag up in a tree branch is enough to dodge most of the little critters and not attract attention.

drm

Post by drm » February 27th, 2020, 8:33 am

Rodent hangs are easy since they only need to be a few feet from an accessible point. Sometimes the long string that closes the bag is enough. Just hang it from the end of a branch.

FYI in Washington, bear canisters are required in some national park areas.