Wallowa/Eagle Cap "High Route"

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
misfits

Wallowa/Eagle Cap "High Route"

Post by misfits » September 7th, 2018, 5:41 pm

Hello!
After a fantastic long weekend of backpacking in the Wallowas, I am interested in putting together a "High Route" that connects as many of the peaks and stays up high as much as possible. Looking to put together a 7ish day route, either loop or thru of the majority of the range. Looking at my map there are obvious large loops/thru options on the trails, but am looking for an interesting way to stay up high more often connecting sections of the wilderness. For example I know you can go up the tram and ride the ridge all the way to Aneroid Mtn then scramble down to Dollar Pass, or the start at Hurricane Creek and hit Sacajawea, Hurwhal, Matterhorn. Basically looking to connect the fun stuff ;)

I know I am being broad here but my question to you is, do you know of any TRs or have heard of anyone doing such a thing in the Wallowas? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Born2BBrad

Re: Wallowa/Eagle Cap "High Route"

Post by Born2BBrad » September 19th, 2018, 9:57 am

Late reply here.

I have done, attempted or plan to attempt what you describe, with much research done. My dream route is: Tram, East Peak, Hidden Peak, Aneroid Mt., Dollar Peak, Petes Point, direct to Polaris Pass, Sentinel Peak, back to Polaris Pass, E Fk Wallowa River Trail, Glacier Pass, direct to Eagle Cap, Lakes Basin, off-trail to Razzbery Lake, Van Marmot Gap, Ice Lake, Matterhorn, Peak 9775, Sacajawea, back to Peak 9775, Hurwall Divide to Chief Joseph Mt., avalanche chute to Chief Joseph Mt. Trail.

All of this is possible for a hiker who is in very good shape, is sure-footed, has strong ankles and has acclimatized. GPS tracks would be a must for certain sections. A direct route from Sentinel Peak to Cusick Mt. was researched. People have done it, but it is one level too dangerous for me. The direct route from Cusick to Hawkins Pass is possible, but also sketchy.

A plan is in the works to follow this route next summer, doing it in three nights and four days. A GPS track for the entire route has been created. Most of that was created from actual GPS tracks of my previous trips, as well as actual GPS tracks found on the Internet. If you send me a PM with your email address, I’ll send you the master track.

Brad
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

Chad

Post by Chad » February 4th, 2020, 8:42 am

I am very interested in this route if either of you have any new information or see this post years later

tschalpi

Post by tschalpi » February 2nd, 2021, 7:28 pm

Perhaps of interest:

"The Eagle’s 33 challenge consists of summiting all 33 peaks over 9,000ft with at least 300ft of prominence in the Eagle Cap Wilderness."

More info at https://www.christofteuscher.com/e33