Looking for an overnight in the snow

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Luke

Looking for an overnight in the snow

Post by Luke » January 14th, 2020, 9:33 am

I am looking for any suggestions for a good winter overnight backpack. Me and a couple friends like to do one easy winter backpacking trip a year just to get out there.

I am looking for:
-easy to moderate hike
-with or without snowshoes
-not crowded
-on or around Mt Hood or Coast Range

I appreciate any help! Thanks!

retired jerry

Re: Looking for an overnight in the snow

Post by retired jerry » January 14th, 2020, 10:18 am

One possibility would be to drive Lolo Pass Rd as far as you can. I don't know if there's a good place to park. Depends on conditions at that particular moment.

Then hike up Lolo Pass Rd, road to campgrounds, over the new bridge across Sandy, on to whatever you want - Ramona Falls TH, Burnt Lake TH,...

Not very busy. Closest to portland.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » January 14th, 2020, 10:34 am

Don't go to the Coast Range. You might go to sleep in the snow and wake up in the mud.

drm

Post by drm » January 15th, 2020, 8:35 am

One key is probably to avoid snowmobiling areas, though they are gone by sundown. The other key is whether you have a snopark permit. Finding a parking spot in midwinter can be an issue because plowed roads have no space for parking until you start to get into the melt season. If you can find a non-snopark parking spot, then do so near any forest road and hike down it as far as you want to go. Look for meadows off to the side of the road or just camp on the snow-covered road.

bghiker

Post by bghiker » January 15th, 2020, 9:37 am

I've done June Lake a few times in winter. It's a fairly easy hike from Marble Mountain Sno Park. There will be some snowmobiles for the first 1/2 mile until you get off the road but after that, I've not seen another person up there in winter in 3-4 trips. It's been a couple years but I don't remember hearing snowmobiles either after I got off the road...