Hike suggestions for late December?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
AutumnSky

Hike suggestions for late December?

Post by AutumnSky » December 17th, 2019, 2:28 pm

Hello all! I am looking for a hike to do on the 28th to celebrate my birthday. I am considering Mt. Thielsen, Diamond Peak or a hike around Waldo Lake. Does anyone happen to know what the snow levels may be like in these areas, around this time of year?

Thank you!

teachpdx

Re: Hike suggestions for late December?

Post by teachpdx » December 17th, 2019, 3:15 pm

Happy early birthday!

The only thing more sucky than having a birthday close to Christmas (I know, mine is the 26th), is the news I am about to deliver.

Feet and feet of snow at all of these places, especially with predicted low snow levels later this week. If you managed to even get there, Thielsen would be super technical with snow and ice.

You can always check out SNOTEL and check snow depths near where you want to go...
https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nr ... 2p2_046181
instagram: @remyodyssey

AutumnSky

Post by AutumnSky » December 17th, 2019, 3:33 pm

Hi there! Happy early birthday to you as well, mine is actually the 27th! How funny that our birthdays are so close.

Yeah I was worried about ice/snow, etc. I will check out that website, thank you! I am in Bend, but I've done just about every hike in a 2 hour radius of here lol, I'm looking to do something new :: fingers crossed! ::

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 17th, 2019, 3:43 pm

click "field guide" then "winter and spring backpacking"

there are several possibilities on the Deschutes River. Close by on the other side of the river is a train track with maybe two trains per day, sort of a novelty if you can get the right frame of mind

coast of the Olympic Peninsula or Rogue River are further away

jessbee

Post by jessbee » December 18th, 2019, 6:25 am

All of those areas are going to be buried in snow and the trails are not marked for winter travel. Is snowshoeing an option or are you looking for something snow free?

Any high elevation hike is going to be in deep snow.

For snow free conditions take a trip to the coast! The Oregon coast is amazing in the winter. If you're game for snow travel you can snowshoe from Mt Bachelor towards Broken Top, head up Paulina Peak or explore partway around Crater lake.

I also live in Bend and have hiked all over the state so feel free to message me for more brainstorming.
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

AutumnSky

!

Post by AutumnSky » December 20th, 2019, 5:13 pm

Hi there- thank you for the replies!

I may do some snowshoeing- which trail head would I take to get out to Broken Top? Is the gate closed out by Bachelor yet?

Water

Post by Water » December 21st, 2019, 7:20 am

removed
Feel Free to Feel Free