Bald Butte via Oak Ridge & Surveyors Ridge

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chip Down

Bald Butte via Oak Ridge & Surveyors Ridge

Post by Chip Down » November 29th, 2019, 8:59 pm

Well, our Sepvember is over. Bushwhacking in new snow is miserable, so I looked for a trail for today's hike. Settled on Surveyors Ridge from the north TH. Pine Mont Drive was plowed, but a bit icy, and no place to comfortably turn around except driveways. I figured if I persisted, I could end up having to back down. So I went looking for a way to access the powerline road that goes up to Surveyors Ridge, and stumbled upon Oak Ridge TH. Perfect! Really close to Hwy 35.

I started up the trail with a couple surprises: It really wasn't that cold, and somebody had broken trail for me. Nice. But at 2200 the footprints abruptly ended, in a random place. I guess they got fed up with it, or ran out of time. Just above that, I entered the open ridgecrest. That was fun. Trail was just slightly hard to follow, but getting lost would be impossible. Snow was getting really deep, but when I re-entered the forest, it wasn't so bad.

When I reached Surveyors Ridge, I noticed I had been traveling at about 1mph, a pace that I continued through the hike. I turned left/north and waded through deep snow along the ridge crest until I reached a saddle where I found the utility road. I continued north, in hopes of reaching the open snowy slopes I had seen from Oak Ridge Trail (I came to realize it's Bald Butte). Kinda boring at the top. I had hoped for a distinct high point with a 360 view, but it's elongated, with a gradual drop to the north, and lots of trees.

I dropped back down to the powerline saddle, and started down the utility road. This is where I encountered the deepest snow of the day, about waistband high in spots, usually mid thigh. I don't think it would have been possible to ascend this road as I had originally planned. The powerline corridor was slightly fun and scenic, but not as much as I was hoping for.

Field guide says I should watch for rattlesnakes and ticks. I didn't see any.
Attachments
1.jpg
People were driving like maniacs.
2.jpg
Switchbacks up the bare part of Oak Ridge.
3.jpg
4.jpg
Imagine how much deeper the snow would have been if the trees hadn't caught so much.
5.jpg
Hood from Bald Butte.
6.jpg
St Helens from Bald Butte.
7.jpg
Finally, a place to sit.
8.jpg
Protesting Black Friday, I went generic today.
9.jpg
Some little critter broke trail for me on the utility road, but it didn't help much.
Capture.JPG

maryannpdx

Re: Bald Butte via Oak Ridge & Surveyors Ridge

Post by maryannpdx » November 30th, 2019, 7:05 pm

Thanks for the snow level intel. I was just thinking of doing this hike later this week. Guess I will find another, since I am not a big fan of the snow.
MaryannPDX

vitameatavegamin

Post by vitameatavegamin » December 1st, 2019, 6:22 am

Great report, thank you. What kind of pants were you wearing for this hike?

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » December 1st, 2019, 11:26 am

vitameatavegamin wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 6:22 am
Heavy fleece. It seems like smoother material would hold less snow, and thus stay drier, but I've never been uncomfortably damp in fleece. If I spent a lot of time in those conditions, I'd buy some dedicated snow pants, or pair a light fleece layer with a smooth outer layer to block wind and shed snow. Speaking of clothing, I'm glad I didn't wear a parka, as it would have been dragging in the snow. Even my waist-length jacket was brushing the snow at times. :D

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 1st, 2019, 11:36 am

the snow was waist deep at spots????

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » December 1st, 2019, 1:22 pm

retired jerry wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 11:36 am
the snow was waist deep at spots????
Yep, sure was. On the utility road, along the powerlines. No trees to catch any of it, and too protected to be windswept. One concern is that as I looked downslope, I could see there were places where parts of the meandering road system ascended slightly before more descents. Good luck walking uphill in that! I was mostly able to string together downhill sections, sometimes offroad. It was light and fluffy, and with a little help from gravity it wasn't too hard to walk through. I've never played in a ball pit, but I imagine this is what it feels like.

When I finally cut over to the packed trail down low, it felt amazing to walk normally for the first time in hours. Trail was very narrow, a trough through the snow, as if it had been carefully excavated with a shovel. Maybe about mid-calf at that point.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 1st, 2019, 2:08 pm

wow, I guess it's now winter. No more alpine trips unless it's with snowshoes or something.

vitameatavegamin

Post by vitameatavegamin » December 2nd, 2019, 3:34 pm

Chip Down wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 11:26 am
vitameatavegamin wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 6:22 am
Heavy fleece. It seems like smoother material would hold less snow, and thus stay drier, but I've never been uncomfortably damp in fleece. If I spent a lot of time in those conditions, I'd buy some dedicated snow pants, or pair a light fleece layer with a smooth outer layer to block wind and shed snow. Speaking of clothing, I'm glad I didn't wear a parka, as it would have been dragging in the snow. Even my waist-length jacket was brushing the snow at times. :D
Thanks, Chip. I've found snow pants too hot while hiking or snowshoeing and have been trying to find the right combination. I may give the fleece and a pair of Precip pants a try next.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » October 30th, 2020, 7:51 pm

Yesterday, I wanted to go see what this looked like without snow. Also continued north past Bald Butte, towards the north Surveyor's TH at Pine Mont. Not recommended. Starts out pleasant enough, but soon it's a steep rocky road, and the further north you go there are more wheeled/motorized travelers.

It would have been fun to recreate some of my pics from last time, but w/o snow. Didn't think of it.
Attachments
20201029_130839.jpg
Tom/Splintercat recommends a trail on that approach to Bald Butte. Splendid idea! [pic taken from utility road]
20201029_134554.jpg
I've never walked across a cattle guard before.
20201029_095252.jpg
Remnant from Bald Butte lookout.