GAIA and snow depth

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
pcg

GAIA and snow depth

Post by pcg » November 27th, 2019, 7:28 am

I’m trying to get useful info on snow depth from my GAIA app and not having much success. For example, when I overlay the NOAA snow depth layer and look at Mt. Hood this morning, I just get a gradual shading from slightly light purple to slightly light blue, ranging from the summit all the way east to the desert. When zoomed in, it’s difficult to tell what color I’m looking at, especially when I have multiple layers activated. Is there some way to click somewhere and get the inch equivalent for the color at any one point? Or is there another layer available somewhere that shows telemetry locations and data?

adamschneider

Re: GAIA and snow depth

Post by adamschneider » November 27th, 2019, 9:03 am

I don't think there's any way you're going to get that kind of interactivity from a layer in a mapping app. You're gonna have to fire up a browser.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » November 28th, 2019, 5:33 am

I’ve had the same less than helpful experience. On a plus note, they just launched the new map set that is a partnership between the famous map maker halfmile on the PCT working with Nat Geo to have their new PCT map set layer. It’s $165 worth of maps for free as a layer on Gaia (with the premium subscription which you may have anyway...can’t remember if the snow layer is in the premium part of that app)

This is what I use for snow depth.
https://www.postholer.com/gmap/gmap.ph ... =1&depth=1

pcg

Post by pcg » November 28th, 2019, 12:49 pm

adamschneider wrote:
November 27th, 2019, 9:03 am
I don't think there's any way you're going to get that kind of interactivity from a layer in a mapping app. You're gonna have to fire up a browser.
Or wait for you to write an app...
BTW thank you for what I use now. Very useful to me.
http://adamschneider.net/hiking/snow_depth.html

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 28th, 2019, 1:10 pm

I like Adam's also. You can click on "usgs topo" and it shows topo for reference

nohrsc has more contrasting colors

But, when I do spring hiking, when the nohrsc data shows the snow melted there's still a lot of snow on ridges, you have to wait another couple weeks. So, interpreting the colors really isn't that important

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » November 28th, 2019, 4:52 pm

You always have to take those colors with several grains of salt. They represent MODELED snow depth, not observed. They do constantly futz with the models to get them more in line with reality, but they're still models.

I've thought about adding the measurement sites as points to my map, but I either couldn't find a proper database or got distracted, or both.