aluminum pipe on Coe Creek

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
Chip Down

aluminum pipe on Coe Creek

Post by Chip Down » November 24th, 2019, 6:42 pm

When it comes to manmade objects, the question often isn't "what is this", but "why is this"?

Aluminum pipe below Coe Falls, around 4600'ish. I'm not aware of any development, industry, or recreation that could explain this.

See red X on map below. To get yourself oriented, notice Elk Cove at center left, and Cloud Cap at lower right.
Attachments
20191123_103320.jpg
pipe.JPG

goingrouge

Re: aluminum pipe on Coe Creek

Post by goingrouge » November 24th, 2019, 8:04 pm

Perhaps from this flying object?
https://media.giphy.com/media/13DIv8z85zDmEw/giphy.gif

Aluminum is pretty buoyant on account of its density. I am sure you've seen the MHMeadows photos of entire trees blown onto the lift cables from nowhere nearby, neither down nor up. A wee 5 lb hunk of pipe is but like a feather.

Or the most likely scenario: A chunk of, and small clue to, the innards of one of Zeus' many bolts.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 24th, 2019, 9:28 pm

something from ski area?

CyrusK.

Post by CyrusK. » December 1st, 2019, 5:56 pm

Could be a random piece from the mooney crash site, stuff probably went flying all over when the plane crashed. It was definitely washed downstream, probably from around coe terminus.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » December 4th, 2019, 6:27 pm

CyrusK. wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 5:56 pm
Could be a random piece from the mooney crash site, stuff probably went flying all over when the plane crashed. It was definitely washed downstream, probably from around coe terminus.
Oh, now that's plausible. I've seen crash debris travel quite a ways. It's pretty far from Mooney to Coe, but I wouldn't rule it out. The east fork of Coe Creek (which flows from Langille) is closer, but less likely to flow fast enough to carry things down.