North Cascades traverse Aug. 16-22

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
OneSpeed

Re: North Cascades traverse Aug. 16-22

Post by OneSpeed » August 29th, 2013, 12:37 pm

Great report! I wonder if we bumped into each other. I did the standard Copper Ridge loop from Haneman from Aug 19 to 25, and have the exact same picture of the salmon, including the dead one.

Anyway, beautiful place, and every time I looked up Brushy Creek towards Whatcomb Pass, I wanted to go up there. Having seen your pictures, I definitely will -- and will look for an off-trail permit to go wandering around above treeline.

vibramhead

Post by vibramhead » August 29th, 2013, 2:23 pm

OneSpeed wrote:Great report! I wonder if we bumped into each other. I did the standard Copper Ridge loop from Haneman from Aug 19 to 25, and have the exact same picture of the salmon, including the dead one.

Anyway, beautiful place, and every time I looked up Brushy Creek towards Whatcomb Pass, I wanted to go up there. Having seen your pictures, I definitely will -- and will look for an off-trail permit to go wandering around above treeline.
Thanks Paul, and sorry I missed you up there. If I understand correctly, you don't need a permit to wander off trail during the day, but if you want to camp in a "cross country zone" your permit needs to show that zone. Here are the rules. I had thought about camping at Tapto Lakes, about 700 feet above Whatcom Pass, on my second night, but the weather was looking too threatening for such an exposed spot, so I opted for Whatcom Camp instead. From all reports, Tapto would be a great place in good weather.
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

greglief

Post by greglief » September 18th, 2013, 10:23 am

Thank you VERY MUCH for this fantastic trip report and photos. You have moved North Cascades NP much higher on my destinations list! :P

Greg

vibramhead

Post by vibramhead » September 18th, 2013, 1:31 pm

greglief wrote:Thank you VERY MUCH for this fantastic trip report and photos. You have moved North Cascades NP much higher on my destinations list! :P

Greg
Thanks Greg!
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

ghsmith76

Post by ghsmith76 » November 12th, 2019, 5:20 pm

Thanks for the trip report, I hoping to put together a trek from Ross Lake to Baker Lake.
GHSMITH76
Blog:AdventureContinues.org

markesc

Post by markesc » November 19th, 2019, 6:04 pm

wow uh mazin report! those are TOUGH Miles too!

Challenger glacier and the tapto lakes area is just world class.

Nice bear and weasel shots! Good memories and I bet you're planning another!