Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
East Coast Hiker

Re: Looking for a decent day hike

Post by East Coast Hiker » November 6th, 2019, 5:48 am

adamschneider wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 11:11 am
Bosterson wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 9:31 am
[Timberline] would be fine for this weekend, and if you're visiting from out of town, getting up and close to a volcano is pretty cool.
This. Timberline Lodge is a great destination for out-of-towners.

teachpdx wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 7:07 am
Mirror Lake is mind-numbingly boring compared to many other local hikes.
Not if you keep going to the top of Tom Dick and Harry Mountain; that's a great view of Hood (and Jefferson). From there you can make a loop by continuing east and descending through Ski Bowl.

(You'll lose 2/3 of the people once you leave the lake, and 90% of the remainder once you head east along the TD&H summit ridge.)
By chance, can you post the trail you mention. I got Mirror Lake and TDH, but lost at finding info on Ski Bowl. Thanks!

East Coast Hiker

Post by East Coast Hiker » November 6th, 2019, 5:49 am

Bosterson wrote:
Timberline is definitely not snowed in, check the webcams. We're having an inversion but it's nice and sunny up there. It would be fine for this weekend, and if you're visiting from out of town, getting up and close to a volcano is pretty cool. :)
teachpdx wrote:
:lol:

Thanks! Looking forward to it!

East Coast Hiker

Post by East Coast Hiker » November 6th, 2019, 6:01 am

I appreciate all of your comments and info! Last question, because I am reading different bits of info. What passes/permits do I need? I’ve read I need to pick something up ahead of time, but at some places, I can park and pay. And some say none of that applies over Veteran’s Weekend. Any insight would be appreciated, as well as appropriate links. Thanks again!
Last edited by East Coast Hiker on November 13th, 2019, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » November 6th, 2019, 7:04 am

East Coast Hiker wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 6:01 am
What passes/permits do I need?
All National Forest fees are waived on 11/11, Veterans Day. Unfortunately, not the whole weekend.

Most places will require a Northwest Forest Pass, $5 per day. Or one of the many other passes on the linked page. You can purchase online and print out.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsin ... n&cid=null
Locations to pay at the trailhead are few and far between... best to buy in advance.

Lastly, locations like Multnomah Falls and Timberline Lodge don't charge fees for parking. So once you decide on a hike, find it here in the Field Guide, click on the link for the trailhead, and it will list the relevant fees (if any).
instagram: @remyodyssey

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » November 6th, 2019, 7:04 am

Just realized Monday is Veteran's Day. I revise to note that a long holiday weekend would not be my ideal time to try to go near Multnomah Falls. Or at least move that arrival time up as much as you can.
Lastly, locations like Multnomah Falls and Timberline Lodge don't charge fees for parking.
Believe you do need a sno-park permit at Timberline this time of year

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » November 6th, 2019, 7:12 am

East Coast Hiker wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 5:37 am
Do you think Burnt Lake is a good hike, even if I can’t fit in East Zigzag?
I honestly really like it... the framed view of the mountain over the lake isn't quite as epic as Mirror Lake, but the hike through the forest leading up to the lake is really beautiful. It's worth it without the addition to East Zigzag.

But if you just have time for one hike, I would hit up Timberline Lodge and head out to Zigzag Overlook.
https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guid ... Lodge_Hike
The mileage is short enough for the round trip that you can explore some of the user trails that venture up onto the mountain from the overlook.

The weather is looking pretty good for this weekend... don't miss out on the mountain!
(You can see waterfalls anywhere)

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » November 6th, 2019, 7:15 am

squidvicious wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 7:04 am
Lastly, locations like Multnomah Falls and Timberline Lodge don't charge fees for parking.
Believe you do need a sno-park permit at Timberline this time of year
OMG, you're right. It's already November! It's so rare to hike there in November!
https://www.oregon.gov/odot/dmv/pages/v ... rmits.aspx
This link has all the info you need.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » November 6th, 2019, 9:25 am

East Coast Hiker wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 5:48 am
adamschneider wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 11:11 am
Bosterson wrote:
[Timberline] would be fine for this weekend, and if you're visiting from out of town, getting up and close to a volcano is pretty cool.
This. Timberline Lodge is a great destination for out-of-towners.

teachpdx wrote:
Not if you keep going to the top of Tom Dick and Harry Mountain; that's a great view of Hood (and Jefferson). From there you can make a loop by continuing east and descending through Ski Bowl.

(You'll lose 2/3 of the people once you leave the lake, and 90% of the remainder once you head east along the TD&H summit ridge.)
By chance, can you post the trail you mention. I got Mirror Lake and TDH, but lost at finding info on Ski Bowl. Thanks!
Here's a map showing the TDH loop. You can pick your own way down through the ski runs or service roads in the Ski Bowl area (at the east end of the ridge). As others have said, it'll be busy this weekend, but 95% of those who get up to TDH just return the same way, and the ridge traverse will be virtually free of others. Very nice views of the mountain up there!

And I'd second the idea of hitting Timberline Lodge as well. In fact, they have a PCT-renowned buffet there... My suggestion might be to hit this loop early, head up for that, then work it off with a "stroll" up to the Silcox Hut at 7000'. :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » November 6th, 2019, 10:41 am

East Coast Hiker wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 5:37 am
Do you think Burnt Lake is a good hike, even if I can’t fit in East Zigzag?
Personally, I think Burnt Lake is boring as hell, especially if you can't do East Zigzag. I have friends who think it's awesome though. YMMV.
East Coast Hiker wrote:
There's no official trail, but it's really easy to find your way. You just keep going east along the ridge, then down MTB trails or service roads through the ski area; Karl posted a link to a map. Since they moved the Mirror Lake trailhead to Ski Bowl, it's kind of a no-brainer to do the loop.

A note about the Multnomah/Wahkeena loop, which gives you an incredible bang for your buck, waterfall-wise: I don't know why people haven't mentioned this, but it is MUCH less stressful to park at Wahkeena Falls (on the Historic Highway), not Multnomah Falls. I've never had trouble finding a parking spot at Wahkeena, especially in the morning. And for god's sake, do the loop COUNTER-clockwise; the overlook at the top of Multnomah Falls is really disappointing after a 700' climb, but it's OK when it's just another part of a 5-mile hike. And if you do it, be sure to head west at the Wahkeena/Angel's Rest junction and check out Wahkeena Spring; it's less than 100 yards off the loop but it's a really neat spot that a lot of people miss.

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » November 6th, 2019, 3:10 pm

adamschneider wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 10:41 am
East Coast Hiker wrote:
There's no official trail, but it's really easy to find your way.
Eeeeeh... This is not something I would encourage someone to just casually jump into, especially someone who knows nothing about the area. Getting lost would actually be quite easy if you aren't well prepared.

Honestly, the group has a tendency to be a little "enthusiastic" with hike suggestions. A request for an easy local hike can have you on a ten mile bushwhack two hours out of town if you're not careful.

A note about the Multnomah/Wahkeena loop, which gives you an incredible bang for your buck, waterfall-wise: I don't know why people haven't mentioned this, but it is MUCH less stressful to park at Wahkeena Falls (on the Historic Highway), not Multnomah Falls. I've never had trouble finding a parking spot at Wahkeena, especially in the morning.
Nope nope nope, very bad idea on a holiday weekend, really really especially now that the lower lot is closed. You will get in ok if you're early enough, but you will not get out. And when you do manage to thread your way out through the people blocking everyone in while stalking spots, you will be stuck in the gridlock of the HCRH. I've experienced this even on a weekday even this late in the season. DEFINITELY the 84 lot, early, and park by the exit.