proposal for McGee Creek Trail: abandon or realign

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
retired jerry

Re: proposal for McGee Creek Trail: abandon or realign

Post by retired jerry » October 13th, 2019, 7:23 pm

yeah, interesting alignment of those roads on the 1962 usgs map

another thing I've imagined is that the Top Spur trailhead is where there had previously been a landing for logging the area below. After the logging is complete no further use for it.

Sugar Pine

Post by Sugar Pine » October 15th, 2019, 11:45 am

I hiked McGee creek trail for the first time on Sunday and very much enjoyed it. Thinking about returning during huckleberry season. We hiked up the PCT from Lolo pass, to Bald Mtn, up the Timberline a way to viewpoints, back and down McGee and then walked the road back to Lolo pass. I'd really like to see a connector trail to create a nice loop without the road walk.

Guy

Post by Guy » October 16th, 2019, 8:55 pm

I've only hiked it a few times because I'm normally in a hurry to get to higher ground. That being said it's a lovely trail in the trees in it's own right.

I have to admit even if it was a super boring trail with USFS doing their best to reduce hiking opportunities I'm never ever going to support any trail abandonment or closure.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

bobcat

Post by bobcat » October 19th, 2019, 11:18 am

Sugar Pine wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 11:45 am
We hiked up the PCT from Lolo pass, to Bald Mtn, up the Timberline a way to viewpoints, back and down McGee and then walked the road back to Lolo pass.
Yes, I've done that Bald Mountain loop before. It would be cool to have a level trail at about the 3,500' contour to connect the McGee Creek and PC Trails.

Have to admit, McGee Creek is my go-to for accessing that part of the mountain. Many years ago, I went with a group to Top Spur. We were one vehicle among what seemed like hundreds. Never again!