PDX to Timberline Lodge?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
saintandrew

PDX to Timberline Lodge?

Post by saintandrew » September 19th, 2019, 6:38 am

Howdy Hikers -
Can any of you suggest the quickest and most economical transportation between PDX and The Timberline Lodge? I don’t want to rent a car only to park it while I Loop the Timberline Trail. I’m hoping there’s a easy solution - shuttle, ride share, etc. that will be easy to use from the airport area to the trail head.
Thanks in advance for the wisdom and advice!
Andrew

retired jerry

Re: PDX to Timberline Lodge?

Post by retired jerry » September 19th, 2019, 6:49 am

click on "field guide", "public transportation"

which takes you to https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guid ... sportation

Take MAX to the Gresham station, SAM to downton Sandy, then the Mount Hood Express to Timberline

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » September 19th, 2019, 6:57 am

The Transit feature on Google Maps will show exactly how to get there, instead of piecing together timetables of different agencies. There are three transfers required between the airport and Timberline, and if you time it well the shortest trips are only 2.5-3 hours total. The transfer at Sandy is coordinated, so the bus to Timberline doesn't leave before the bus to Sandy arrives.

It's super easy and very affordable... I've taken the bus to Timberline many times.
instagram: @remyodyssey

saintandrew

Post by saintandrew » September 19th, 2019, 7:06 am

Thank you pdxteach and retired jerry! Really appreciate the prompt response and help from you both.
Cheers and all the best!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 19th, 2019, 12:16 pm

I was just looking at the transit feature of google maps, that works pretty good to Timberline Lodge, also Cascade Locks

Just for kicks I tried Santiam Sno-park. It found a way by car, but couldn't find a way by transit. I think there's a bus from Eugene to Bend that you can take but they don't normally stop at Santiam Pass.

I can get to La Push WA which is close to the beach trail of ONP - 18 hours

saintandrew

Post by saintandrew » September 19th, 2019, 5:12 pm

Thank you Jerry. To timberline lodge I’ll use transit when I arrive. We’ll see about next year’s hikes. I may have my spouse fly out and drive me to the starting points and pick me up when I’m done. She’ll enjoy a week in a hotel while I’m roughing it in the back country! 😆
Best,
Andrew