Bear Poop?

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
Born2BBrad

Bear Poop?

Post by Born2BBrad » August 25th, 2019, 7:45 am

I live about a mile outside the city limits of The Dalles. There are tablelands with trails next to my property. Several times up there I have seen what looks like bear poop. This morning while walking my dog on the trails on my property there was a pile that looked like bear poop. Take a look at the picture and let me know what you think it is.

I got a trail cam pointed at the water bucket, but it wasn't up last night. No bear pics on that yet.
Attachments
IMG_1468.JPG
Bear Poop?
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

Aimless

Re: Bear Poop?

Post by Aimless » August 25th, 2019, 11:33 am

Other than the amount, which is rather skimpy for a bear, everything else tallies with bear poop. I'd agree that's what it is.

pcg

Post by pcg » August 27th, 2019, 6:50 pm

It would be helpful to have something in the pic for scale. Otherwise it's impossible to give an educated opinion, except, if that's all there was... I vote coyote or raccoon.
Last edited by pcg on August 28th, 2019, 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 28th, 2019, 7:56 am

pcg wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 6:50 pm
It would be helpful to have something in the pic for scale. Otherwise it's impossible to give an educated opinion, except, if that's all there was... I vote coyote.
There are berries for scale (probably mountain-ash, because huckleberries wouldn't have made it through intact like that).

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » August 28th, 2019, 8:12 pm

Looks like bear poo to me. Having said that, I have a FB friend who lives in The Dalles who found bear poop on her property too.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

BurnsideBob

Post by BurnsideBob » September 17th, 2019, 6:24 pm

I vote raccoon. Too small for bear. Coyote usually has some amount of hair and is more consolidated and dog-like.

Look around base of nearby trees for piles of feces. Raccoons make latrines in areas they frequent a lot.

Unfortunately my yard and garden is highly attractive to raccoons and I have way too much experience with their feeding and pooping habits. Major rant possible here. Wine grapes are sugaring up so I'm starting to see grapes in what they leave me.

Burnside
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » September 17th, 2019, 7:20 pm

Raccoons would require running water somewhere within a reasonable distance, or so I have been led to believe. This should be taken into account in the guesswork.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 18th, 2019, 6:31 am

I'm looking forward to the trail cam pics