Blowdown and brush on Battle Ax

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
justpeachy

Blowdown and brush on Battle Ax

Post by justpeachy » September 16th, 2019, 7:18 pm

We did the Battle Ax loop on Saturday and found some issues. We started at Elk Lake and hiked up Bagby Trail #544. This trail has about 15 or so fallen trees and many brushy spots.

Battle Ax Mountain Trail #3340 also some issues. There are some brushy spots, but the main issue is where the tread is sliding down the mountain.

And finally, the stretch of old road east of Beachie Saddle is pretty bad. Some stretches are so eroded that you have to walk in the "streambed" that's been carved out. At least in the spot pictured below there's a sort of bank to walk along, but it wasn't like that in other places.

Considering how often the Opal Creek Center brings groups up there I was surprised to find things in such bad shape. But I don't think they don't do any maintenance themselves, and I'm guessing the horrible road access keeps crews out of this area.

kelkev

Re: Blowdown and brush on Battle Ax

Post by kelkev » September 17th, 2019, 4:40 pm

The maintenance of these trails have been been pretty weak for many years - - I'm guessing the Detroit RD puts its focus on the Mt. Jefferson Wilderness and other more popular non-wilderness trails. Last time I hiked that trail was close to 10 years ago and it wasn't much better.
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir