Happy Birthday!

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
dmthomas49

Re: Happy Birthday!

Post by dmthomas49 » July 8th, 2019, 3:43 pm

From Conboy Lake National Wildlife refuge....
IMG_8411.JPG
It amazes me how many of these Chip finds. I think he has a mylar attraction. :lol:
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » August 11th, 2019, 7:32 pm

Here's another unusually high latex balloon remnant. Imagine how easy it would be to walk right past this, as well as the one I found above 8000' a few weeks ago. Either I'm super lucky, or there are scads of latex balloons in the alpine zone.

Also a chip bag, which I thought for sure was a balloon until I got closer.
Attachments
a.jpg
b.jpg

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 12th, 2019, 5:23 am

wow, an analog altimeter :)

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » August 16th, 2019, 8:34 pm

retired jerry wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 5:23 am
wow, an analog altimeter :)
Is that feet or meters?! ;)
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » August 17th, 2019, 7:23 pm

From a distance, saw a loooong white string, attached to something orange. Pretty sure I knew what it was, followed the string the other way, found what I was hoping for. I knew what to expect because I found one in 2014, and from a distance this looked like the same thing. I didn't really want to haul this home, but knew I should. When I discovered how wet/muddy/heavy the balloon end was, I aborted my plan to carry it all home. Just cut off the instrument, and on the remaining tag I wrote "instrument recovered", so nobody would waste time looking for it. I guess that was silly of me; in the next five years, I bet nobody will walk close enough to this spot to notice what I left. This was a fun find, one of many things that made me feel okay about today's route errors.
Attachments
weather.jpg

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » August 18th, 2019, 6:17 am

Chip Down wrote:
August 17th, 2019, 7:23 pm
From a distance, saw a loooong white string, attached to something orange. Pretty sure I knew what it was, followed the string the other way, found what I was hoping for. I knew what to expect because I found one in 2014, and from a distance this looked like the same thing. I didn't really want to haul this home, but knew I should. When I discovered how wet/muddy/heavy the balloon end was, I aborted my plan to carry it all home. Just cut off the instrument, and on the remaining tag I wrote "instrument recovered", so nobody would waste time looking for it. I guess that was silly of me; in the next five years, I bet nobody will walk close enough to this spot to notice what I left. This was a fun find, one of many things that made me feel okay about today's route errors.
Pretty cool find. I've never seen one of those before. If I read the box right, it looks like it was launched from Salem on Sept 6, 2018.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

kirk

Post by kirk » August 19th, 2019, 5:44 pm

I wish I'd seen your comment yesterday Rob. I'm sure there's a wisecrack that could have been made about the title of this thread and your advancing age. Alas, it's too late now. You're a year older and there's no turning back now!

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » September 5th, 2019, 7:49 pm

When I spotted this from a distance, I prayed for it to be a balloon. At 9500' it would blow away my previous record (8000-ish).
Attachments
evil+evil.jpg

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 6th, 2019, 5:50 am

ahhh... a thought just occurred to me... my new project... plant balloons for Chip to find :)

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » September 6th, 2019, 5:35 pm

retired jerry wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 5:50 am
ahhh... a thought just occurred to me... my new project... plant balloons for Chip to find :)
Enjoying that retirement, are ya? :lol: