No Name Lake Camping closure

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
dmthomas49

No Name Lake Camping closure

Post by dmthomas49 » September 5th, 2019, 6:37 am

Another example of campers not doing what is expected. I am in Sunriver this week and was thinking of hiking Broken Top. https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/ ... 200910001/
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir

retired jerry

Re: No Name Lake Camping closure

Post by retired jerry » September 5th, 2019, 8:45 am

thanks for posting that

no camping allowed at "no name" lake just below Broken Top. Too many people. No soil for poop to degrade.

good example of reasonable management of the Wilderness

I wonder how many of those people heard about no name lake here

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 5th, 2019, 9:05 am

retired jerry wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 8:45 am
I wonder how many of those people heard about no name lake here
I'm pretty sure we pale in comparison to Instagram and Facebook.

jessbee

Post by jessbee » September 5th, 2019, 12:09 pm

dmthomas49 wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 6:37 am
Another example of campers not doing what is expected. I am in Sunriver this week and was thinking of hiking Broken Top. https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/ ... 200910001/
You can still hike to No Name and camp elsewhere, or check out some of the hundreds of miles of trails that cross the wilderness. There's actually a lot to see and do in Three Sisters but most of the use is concentrated at a handful of hot spots.
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

dmthomas49

Post by dmthomas49 » September 5th, 2019, 12:52 pm

There were storms over the Cascades this morning, so decided to do Smith Rock. Always love the photographic hike. Lots of people there with dogs and no poop pick up. Saw several piles on the trail and poop bags along the trail. It is getting to be an issue everywhere!
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 5th, 2019, 1:40 pm

yeah, there are many places to camp a short distance from no name lake

that closure is hardly even inconvenient

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » September 5th, 2019, 7:23 pm

Wow. I would never camp in such a spot, because it's a magnet for visitors who will compromise my solitude, and because my campsite would mar the experience for others. If I go elsewhere, it's a win/win.

I did once camp in the crater of broken top, but it was super low impact: throw a sleeping bag down at dusk, move on at dawn. Never saw anybody, and I'm confident nobody saw me.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » September 5th, 2019, 7:30 pm

retired jerry wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 1:40 pm
yeah, there are many places to camp a short distance from no name lake

that closure is hardly even inconvenient
But consider this quote:

“It was such a life-changing experience getting to camp up there — the stars are insane,” she said. “It's sad that others won't have the chance to experience that because of a few people who don't adhere to Leave No Trace Principles.”

So for this person, it's not enough to visit, the "life changing experience" comes from sleeping there. But was it because of the stars, or was that an incidental comment? Anyway, I would encourage people to seek their own life-changing experience. If your life is changed by sleeping in a tent that's in a row of tents, maybe you need to recalibrate what qualifies as life changing. Heck, go sleep on top of Middle Sister. When I did that, it was all mine, which obviously made it so much cooler (I do recognize it's increasingly difficult to find that kind of experience, but keep looking).

jessbee

Post by jessbee » September 6th, 2019, 4:44 am

Chip Down wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 7:30 pm
But consider this quote:

“It was such a life-changing experience getting to camp up there — the stars are insane,” she said. “It's sad that others won't have the chance to experience that because of a few people who don't adhere to Leave No Trace Principles.”

So for this person, it's not enough to visit, the "life changing experience" comes from sleeping there. But was it because of the stars, or was that an incidental comment? Anyway, I would encourage people to seek their own life-changing experience. If your life is changed by sleeping in a tent that's in a row of tents, maybe you need to recalibrate what qualifies as life changing.
I agree 100%. Want to see stars? Camp anywhere in Central Oregon. Go east and they're even better.

I simply don't understand what attracts people to be in crowds in the wilderness. I had to pack up and move camp to another lake this past weekend because a group came in and camped right near us with 4 off leash dogs, a Bluetooth speaker (of course) and tons of alcohol. Not my idea of a good time.

There seems to be a very small percentage of us who appreciate solitude. The rest couldn't care less.
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 6th, 2019, 5:32 am

You can find nice places to camp within a mile of no name lake

Yeah, I agree, just throwing your sleeping bag down and watching stars is nice, maybe not quite life changing though :)

When I can, which is about half the time, I'll do that.