watermelon, wine, wy'east swine spine (finale?)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chip Down

watermelon, wine, wy'east swine spine (finale?)

Post by Chip Down » August 31st, 2019, 7:04 pm

It's a venerable tradition, a pilgrimage, maybe even a rite of passage: On sunny warm days between Memorial and Labor, you'll see stalwart hikers carrying a watermelon and a bottle of wine up to Mt Hood's crater. I ran a little late this year; every weekend there was something better to do, but today I knew I'd better get it done. Yeah, you can buy a watermelon in September, but it just doesn't feel right. Yesterday, in preparation for this hike, I almost picked up one of those cute little personal watermelons and a 375ml bottle. But no, I decided to go whole hog, with a big ol' Hermiston and a 1500ml jug of wine.

At Timberline Lodge I hoisted my 40 lb pack and headed up the trail. I was amazed it was that heavy. Watermelon 13 lbs, wine 5 lbs, milk and yogurt 2.5 lbs, water 3.5 lbs, ice axe, crampons, helmet, a big heavy pack to carry all that. I've been traveling extra light the last few weeks, and my torso isn't used to bearing weight.

It was an extra dark night. No moon, no groomers. I wasn't sure where I was, but it didn't matter. Just go up.

I put on crampons much earlier than usual. I was getting tired of struggling to avoid icy patches. Once they were on (around the bottom of Palmer) I started moving fast. Well, faster anyway.

Above Palmer it was a dry crumbly mess. I figured I should veer over to White River. That worked out great, as I was able to ascend a combo of snow and trail. Passed an out-of-state visitor. I didn't think I'd be passing anybody.

As I approached Devil's Kitchen, I met a pair descending. Their first time on the summit. I found it encouraging that they succeeded, and considered going to the top myself. I had been hoping to get at least as far as the west rim. I didn't ask for beta, figured I'd wing it.

At Devil's Kitchen I was dismayed at how heavily crevassed Coleman Glacier is. I had no idea. I look back on all the times I walked around up there, and wonder how safe it was. Even the standard route seems sketchy now that I know there are days when snowbridges are about to melt out. People talk about the rockfall danger this time of year, but that's only half the problem. Anyway, from Devils Kitchen I didn't see an obvious route to the Hogsback. I tried skirting around the glacier, where it meets Crater Rock. I managed to get to the point where I was in line with the Hogsback, but no apparent way to safely drop to the snow (moat and delicate bridges). I could see it would be very straightforward to walk to the east side of Devils Kitchen and ascend a virtually crevasse-free section of the glacier, but rockfall risk was high. I gave up and turned back. Along the way, I looked for a boot-track that I might have missed on the ascent, but no luck.

I've had a string of failures lately. Not as discouraged as you might think. Today's trip was more interesting than expected. I was just repeating a previous hike today, so success wasn't a big deal. Next year I'll go earlier. I really want to get to the west crater rim again, mostly for nostalgia.
Attachments
1.jpg
As I approached Devils Kitchen, I heard more splashing than would be expected from the outlet creek. Here's why.
2.jpg
Frustrating. I was actually above my goal at this point.
3.jpg
Looking down on Coleman Tarn, and that odd little glacier on the right that isn't quite Coleman or White River.
4.jpg
As if the watermelon alone wasn't whimsical enough.
5.jpg
I just followed everybody else's footprints, and immediately felt like an idiot. It's much safer where I stood to take this picture.
6.jpg
Forgot to bring a knife, had to improvise. Made a pig of myself, so as to minimize my pack weight. What a sticky disgusting mess.
Last edited by Chip Down on September 22nd, 2022, 6:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mjirving

Re: watermelon, wine, wy'east swine spine

Post by mjirving » August 31st, 2019, 8:33 pm

Nice. I should have joined you to help with the watermelon...the eating part. I could also compare the swimming between Mooney and Coalman Tarn. Is it just as smelly with the fumeroles this time of year?

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » August 31st, 2019, 9:19 pm

mjirving wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 8:33 pm
Nice. I should have joined you to help with the watermelon...the eating part.
Your generosity knows no bounds! :lol: I actually did have a little help with the eating. Coming down the mountain behind me, a woman exclaimed to her companion "is that...is that a watermelon?! :shock: "
mjirving wrote:
I could also compare the swimming between Mooney and Coalman Tarn.
Coleman/Coalman is 32F, with a bit of current, submerged ice, floating ice...if you want to go for a swim in that, have a rope tied to your ankle, and a partner prepared to pull you out.
mjirving wrote:
Is it just as smelly with the fumeroles this time of year?
Yep. I wanted to take an extended break there before starting down, but it wouldn't be pleasant.

Say, remember that ramp across White River that I thought you might want to consider? Horrible this time of year. I suppose it could be done, but looking at it today I cringed at the thought of taking that route over to Super Bowl.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » September 1st, 2019, 3:08 am

So what’s up with the Coleman/Coalman spelling? Sounds like another lesson I need to learn?

markesc

Post by markesc » September 1st, 2019, 7:53 am

Yeah it seems like the S. Route danger factor increases every year earlier and earlier.

Your thoughts on a trip to that Illumination Saddle this time of year? or better to wait til Spring?

markesc

Post by markesc » September 1st, 2019, 7:54 am

LOVE that glacier/water/lake photo! That's book worthy!! :mrgreen:

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » September 1st, 2019, 10:36 am

markesc wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 7:53 am
Your thoughts on a trip to that Illumination Saddle this time of year? or better to wait til Spring?
Tremendous amount of rockfall in that area. And it's just ugly now. Also, with the saddle being snow-free, it's a hassle just to get up and peek over to Reid.
markesc wrote:
September 1st, 2019, 7:54 am
LOVE that glacier/water/lake photo! That's book worthy!! :mrgreen:
Yeah, that was a pretty amazing spot. Surface runoff on glaciers is uncommon enough, but to see it splashing into a pool is something I've never seen. Sadly, there's always a lot of garbage around there, but at least this time the water was free of climbers' detritus.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » July 23rd, 2020, 7:27 pm

Today looked like the perfect day for my 2020 pilgrimage.

A little misty east of Sandy, foggy up Laurel Hill, clear at Timberline.

Very low energy today, just couldn't maintain a good pace. More than 5 hours to Hogsback. Pretty sure I was the last one down.

Seems to be some new snow on the crater rim.

Coalman/Coleman tarn was disappointing, just starting to melt out, about the size of a pool table.

I think my 2003 port was past its prime.

Funky mood on the way down. Maybe it was the heat, plus intense brightness. No clouds at all, just baking under that sun, and so much snow. But I was grateful for a loooong glissade. I think the snow was continuous from Hogsback to Timberline Trail, except a few little spots where a few steps on rock kept it going.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
In keeping with the watermelon theme, I wore green boots and red socks.

Chip Down

Re: watermelon, wine, wy'east swine spine (2021 added)

Post by Chip Down » August 23rd, 2021, 7:13 pm

2021!
Chilly for August. Coleman/Coalman Tarn was mostly frozen over, as was the outlet creek.
Much less snow than my late Aug visit in 2019.
Mountain was desolate, almost no hikers today.
Saw a Marmot!
Attachments
1.jpg
Yep, watermelon floats, barely.
2.jpg
3.jpg
Not my best axe, but it's red, so I had to.
4.jpg
5.jpg
Interesting ice tongue extending into the tarn, apparently the result of a rockslide that left it insulated as surrounding snow melted.

Chip Down

Re: watermelon, wine, wy'east swine spine (2021 added)

Post by Chip Down » September 22nd, 2022, 6:00 pm

It's the last (partial) day of summer, and I failed to do my annual pilgrimage. It gets a little harder every year, and the novelty has worn off. But to assuage your disappointment, I offer some previously-unreleased pics from my archives.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
Found, not mine. I mean, you know, the helmet.
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
Snow is bottom of Hogsback, to right is Crater Rock.
6.jpg