Strawberry Mountain Hike / Climb - Central Oregon - August 19, 2019

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
A. Hugh Jass

Strawberry Mountain Hike / Climb - Central Oregon - August 19, 2019

Post by A. Hugh Jass » August 20th, 2019, 10:25 am

I climbed Strawberry Mountain in the Strawberry Wilderness in Oregon on August 19, 2019.

Strawberry Mountain is 9042 feet high and is 12.6 miles round-trip with a total elevation gain of about 3900 feet.

This is a beautiful hike and scramble climb that takes you past the popular Strawberry Lake. Once you pass the lake the trail gets far fewer hikers. After the lake you will pass Strawberry Falls and the scenery continues to impress.

Eventually you will get to the Strawberry Mountain sign near the summit which will direct you to the right. However, you can just continues straight up the trail and scramble to the top.

The scramble route yielded a much more interesting terrain and, in my case, a close encounter with a family a mountain goats.

Once at the top, just descend the "standard" trail down.

My time to the summit was almost exactly three hours. I trail ran down most of the trail, and returned to the trail-head in just under two hours.

Webfoot

Re: Strawberry Mountain Hike / Climb - Central Oregon - August 19, 2019

Post by Webfoot » August 23rd, 2019, 10:41 am

Lovely video. Weird user-name. :P

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 23rd, 2019, 3:36 pm

I went down that "scramble" route last year, and I wouldn't even call it a scramble. Just a steep hike that's arguably more interesting than the official summit trail.

A. Hugh Jass

Post by A. Hugh Jass » August 24th, 2019, 11:54 am

adamschneider wrote:
August 23rd, 2019, 3:36 pm
I went down that "scramble" route last year, and I wouldn't even call it a scramble. Just a steep hike that's arguably more interesting than the official summit trail.
I agree with your about your assessment of the "scramble". It's just a 2nd class effort, but it was a lot of fun. I've done North Twin Sister (Mt. Baker Wilderness), Borah Peak (Idaho), Kaleetan (Snoqualmie Pass), and other scrambles this year. But this was one of my favorites despite not being technically as challenging.