road conditions

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
surreality87

road conditions

Post by surreality87 » August 9th, 2019, 1:12 pm

Hi All,

Non Oregon-er here. I am coming to enjoy your fine state on vacation in Sept. and was hoping to do an overnight trip to Jefferson park coming in from Breitenbush lake trail-head. I have read many reviews online that FS-4220 coming in from the west is rough, to put it nicely. My concern is I will have a rental (AWD SUV), I wanted to know if anyone can tell me what the road is like and if I can expect trouble getting up there or potentially damage the rental (I do offroad driving experience)? also estimations how long it'll take from the NF-46 turn off due to the conditions.

thanks in advance!

walrus

Re: road conditions

Post by walrus » August 9th, 2019, 7:03 pm

As of October 2018, I wouldn't do it in a rental (although you could test your vehicle/skills and hike the rest of the way in if you have to give up). The South Breitenbush trail is a shorter drive on better roads while still avoiding hiking in through the Whitewater burn. The entrance into Jefferson Park via this trail is quite scenic, and if you want the (spectacular) view from Park Ridge, it is a lovely day hike once you're up there.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » August 9th, 2019, 8:54 pm

I haven't driven that road myself, but have heard it's a bit rough. It's also pretty narrow in spots, from what I've been told, which means backing up if you encounter an oncoming car, or getting your paint scratched up from vegetation to let each other pass, depending on what stretch you're on.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 9th, 2019, 9:03 pm

walrus wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 7:03 pm
As of October 2018, I wouldn't do it in a rental (although you could test your vehicle/skills and hike the rest of the way in if you have to give up). The South Breitenbush trail is a shorter drive on better roads while still avoiding hiking in through the Whitewater burn.
It's worth mentioning, though, that the South Breitenbush Trail is VERY rocky. It's a twisted ankle waiting to happen.

So, pick one: crappy road (Park Ridge), crappy trail (S. Breitenbush), or walking through burned trees (Whitewater or Woodpecker Ridge).

kelkev

Post by kelkev » August 10th, 2019, 6:33 am

Both routes to the PCT trailhead at Breitenbush Lake are rough and not suited for passenger vehicles. Worst approach is from Olallie Lake. Either route is best suited for a higher ground clearance, off road capable vehicle with LT rated tires, preferably a 4x4 truck.
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

drm

Post by drm » August 10th, 2019, 9:16 am

Most rental companies do not allow taking the car off of paved roads. And many have built-in GPS units (not the ones you can pay to rent) so it's not an honor system. My brother just went through this. Some companies may not strictly enforce this as much as others, especially if you are a frequent customer that they want to keep. But I think all rental agreements require you to stay on paved roads. They used to just say that their insurance doesn't cover off paved, but now I think most just don't allow it, even for AWD SUVs. Kind of silly, but that's how it works now.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » August 10th, 2019, 10:50 am

I found this short video on YouTube.

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » August 12th, 2019, 11:53 am

I drove it last year. The reports are not exaggerated.

Don't do it in a rental. Period.
instagram: @remyodyssey

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » August 12th, 2019, 1:18 pm

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » August 12th, 2019, 6:36 pm

Webfoot wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 1:18 pm
Rent a Wrangler? https://www.budget.com/en/cars/vehicles/us/xl
Get friendly with Webfoot, and make him your new hiking buddy. :D
Or Don Nelson. He'll drive a sedan anywhere.

BTW, I did it in an Outback. Never again.