Status of short route to Top Spur TH?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
squidvicious

Status of short route to Top Spur TH?

Post by squidvicious » June 13th, 2019, 1:57 pm

Since it's come up in a couple threads now, any up-to-date info on the state of the shorter (Muddy Fork Rd > 1828) route to Top Spur TH? I was swearing I remembered discussions saying

(1) it had gotten especially terrible
(2) it had gotten so terrible they had finally done repairs

After digging around I found the source of (1) in this thread, but nothing supporting (2). Might have been from some other site, though.

I've gone over Lolo Pass the couple times I've been out that way since reading that post, but I really do prefer the shorter route. I'd love to hear if it's back to being reasonable for a small-but-adventurous passenger car.

Webfoot

Re: Status of short route to Top Spur TH?

Post by Webfoot » June 14th, 2019, 10:18 pm

I last drove that in October and I don't recall it being bad, just a few harsh potholes here and there. I think you'll be OK if you take it slowly. I did not take notes on road condition and my memory may be wrong. Please let me know how it goes if you try it.

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » June 15th, 2019, 7:12 am

If nothing stands out in your memory, then I'm going to assume that means it was fine / just normal bad. Thanks for the info.

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » August 9th, 2019, 6:32 am

Answering my own question as I finally got out there this week:

The first part of 1828 has clearly had a lot of work done to it. Not just plugging individual potholes, but totally resurfacing whole stretches around them. It was in perfect condition for miles.

Beyond that, the last mile or two of paved road did have some bad potholes and sunken sections, but they were all clearly marked with paint and did not present any problem as long as you were paying attention (and if you aren't paying attention, just approaching a problem section the road has "SLOW" painted across it to warn you).