Ran Wildwood! (Supported)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
abramj17

Ran Wildwood! (Supported)

Post by abramj17 » August 8th, 2019, 11:59 am

Dear Hikers,

I recently ran the entirety of the Wildwood, which has always been on my bucket list. I agreed to run it with a buddy I met while running the Portland Trail Series, in spite of not running over 15 miles since my first/only marathon in 2014. I’m an avid hiker/backpacker/runner so I thought I could whip myself into shape in a reasonable amount of time.

We decided that we would train for 8 weeks before making our bid - which is roughly the length of the running series.

I logged as many miles/cross-trained as much as I could in that timeframe. Sadly, my friend had a work event come up the weekend we agreed on and bailed last minute. By that point I had already mentally committed to running it and made my bid solo.

I had my partner drop me off at the trailhead at 9am (thanks boo). I packed enough food and water to last me for a couple hours, and asked her to meet me where Wildwood crosses Cornell Rd with more supplies. My game-plan was to run all the flat sections and walk the uphill/downhill sections.

I usually run or workout after work when i’m already exhausted, so I was feeling pretty good that morning after a light breakfast.

So good, I ran all the way to 53rd at a half marathon pace. After 53rd, my feeling of invincibility quickly faded and then the real test began.

I remember hitting a wall at the base of Pittock, and *cheerfully* walked to the Summit. In the back of my head I knew that the summit is only a handful of miles from the end of the trail - so holding onto that thought really helped me get through it.

After winding through the confusing sections of Wildwood in Washington Park - I finally finished around 5pm. It took me a little over 8 hours to complete.

In hindsight, taking on Wildwood point to point is very doable for regular runners/experienced hikers - especially if you are aiming to hike a decent amount as well. It’s relatively flat and you even get 1 to 2mi stretches to yourself North of Germantown Rd.

If you are training for Wildwood and have any questions - feel free to drop a comment below!

I hope you enjoyed this report.

Thanks,
Abe

retired jerry

Re: Ran Wildwood! (Supported)

Post by retired jerry » August 8th, 2019, 12:18 pm

nice!

How many miles?

abramj17

Post by abramj17 » August 8th, 2019, 12:37 pm

30.2! :)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 8th, 2019, 1:02 pm

pretty good for 8 hours. I could do it in a couple days if I stretched.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » August 8th, 2019, 5:18 pm

Nice work. Took me I think about 10 1/2 hours to hike it a few years ago. Pretty much hiked it as fast as I could without stopping.

kedbro

Post by kedbro » August 8th, 2019, 8:12 pm

Ending in Washington Park is definitely cool, but I prefer running in the other direction. Knocks the bulk of the climbing out early, and the best miles for my money are in the north end of the park.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » August 8th, 2019, 8:16 pm

I called it a hiker treadmill as it felt like it was basically the same thing the whole way. I’m glad I did it as an interesting thing to do, but I’ll never do it again...kinda boring. IMO. Much more interesting to go around MSH in a day or Hood. But again...a nice thing to do once just for the heck of it.

Chazz

Post by Chazz » August 13th, 2019, 10:31 am

You might next consider running/hiking what are known as the Forest Park Nasties. There are four of them and vary between 11 and 13 miles in length but also include 2800-3000 ft of elevation gain.

https://sites.google.com/site/runs4cach ... orest-park

Those are perfect for distance hike or ultra-marathon training. They include parts of the Wildwood trail as well as the fire lane "roads". If you are really ambitious, you can chain a couple of these together for a Double Nasty.