Bear Point/Firecamp Lakes Bike Shuttle 9/18/18

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
cfm

Bear Point/Firecamp Lakes Bike Shuttle 9/18/18

Post by cfm » August 5th, 2019, 12:09 pm

Hi everyone, I've been meaning to post some trip reports, here's one of my favorite adventures from last year.

On a glorious weekday, I left my bike at the Crown Lakes Trailhead, then drove down to the South Brietenbush TH to start my hike.

Hiked up the S BB trail to the Bearpoint trail, vine maple and huckleberry were taking on the fall colors.
fall color2.jpg
heading up to Bear Point
The summit of Bear Point provides fine views in all directions.
Jeff.jpg
View of Mt Jefferson from Bear Point
Bearlake and dynamo.jpg
Bear Lake and Dy-Na-Mo Peak
022.JPG
Olallie Butte and Mildred Lakes basin
027.JPG
Triangulation Peak with Spire Rock and Boca Cave
The trail officially ends at the top of Bear Point, but for the offtrail adventurer, you can head southeast or northwest on what is unofficially called Adventure Ridge.

Heading SE takes you to Park Butte-it is a fun 3 mile scramble that takes hours, but provides incredible scenery and absolute solitude until you reach the PCT and Jeff Park. This is the view of Adventure Ridge and Dy-Na-Mo Peak from the previous week:
Adventure.jpg
Adventure Ridge from Park Butte
On this day, however, I was heading in the northwesterly direction towards the Firecamp Lakes. This involved some ridgewalking, scree scrambling and bushwacking. I was in heaven!
034.JPG
Fire Camp Lakes
crown lake.jpg
Crown Lake
dragonfly arrow.jpg
I found an arrow along the way
Found a trail when I arrived at the first lake, and ambled along the shorelines until I reached Crown Lake. Then it was a short hike out to my bike and a 4ish mile downhill zoom back to my car. Hiking stats: 7 miles, 3250 ft eg. Humans seen=0
route.JPG
track

johnspeth

Re: Bear Point/Firecamp Lakes Bike Shuttle 9/18/18

Post by johnspeth » August 5th, 2019, 2:16 pm

cfm wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 12:09 pm
On a glorious weekday, I left my bike at the Crown Lakes Trailhead, then drove down to the South Brietenbush TH to start my hike.
I love bike/hike formats. This is a good one. In what kind of shape was the road from the South Brietenbush TH to the Crown Lakes TH? Is it the same as the the section leading up to South Brietenbush TH?

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 5th, 2019, 3:31 pm

Amen to the hike-'n'-bike trips. We should add this to the Field Guide list.

BurnsideBob

Post by BurnsideBob » August 5th, 2019, 3:48 pm

What a great report!

Did the Bear Point to Sheep Lake segment have a use trail, and if it didn't were you able to keep Sheep Lake in view as you descended?

Thanks,

Burnside
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.

cfm

Post by cfm » August 5th, 2019, 4:55 pm

Johnspeth-the road was just fine for driving even a town car all the way to the Crown Lake TH.

Burnside Bob- from Bear Point I meandered along multiple use trails which petered in and out, and only occasionally glimpsed the lakes. The key is to stay on top of the ridge heading down to Sheep Lake.