Mt. Margaret Loop

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
keithcomess

Mt. Margaret Loop

Post by keithcomess » July 19th, 2019, 5:46 pm

Any updates on the reported slide section on the Coldwater Trail and water supplies along the Boundary Trail, especially at or near Ridge Camp?

Many thanks in advance,

Keith

Quince

Re: Mt. Margareat Loop

Post by Quince » July 19th, 2019, 9:25 pm

Just back yesterday from a loop starting at Norway Pass. We camped at Dome and Snow Lake. Don't know about water at Ridge - we walked by but since we weren't staying there didn't check on conditions. The landslide area (there are actually 2 of them) are closer to Snow Lake. Short, do-able with caution. There is a landslide/washout on Norway pass. See the post. viewtopic.php?p=209661#p209661

keithcomess

Re: Mt. Margareat Loop

Post by keithcomess » July 20th, 2019, 12:04 pm

Thanks! Much appreciated.

Keith

keithcomess

Re: Mt. Margaret Loop

Post by keithcomess » July 26th, 2019, 1:47 pm

Any news on the Coldwater --> Lakes Trail to Snow Lake Camp? I'm asking because I (finally) received a call-back from the Mt St Helen's Ranger Station. The ranger (the voice sounded like an elderly woman) reports, "The washout is very dangerous and we encourage people to enter from Norway Pass". She continued, "Water is very scarce and you should bring your own". I'm not sure if she's referring to the (reported) new slide as the trail nears Snow Lake or she's simply issuing a cautionary note for bureaucratic reasons. The water situation she described was so vague as to be meaningless.

Thanks in advance,
Keith

Quince

Post by Quince » July 28th, 2019, 12:03 pm

When we went through on July 17 there was plenty of streams for water. And the landslides before Snow Lake were do-able with caution. It is (of course) possible (and likely) that things have changed and it would be great to hear the trail crew report from the crew that was due to be in there this last week after we went through. (Just for reference, I am a 61 year old female, so in the elderly woman category). I'd give another call and ask to speak with someone who was either on the crew or spoke with them directly.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 28th, 2019, 12:48 pm

61 is not elderly, maybe 70, or whatever 5 years older than me is :)

keithcomess

Post by keithcomess » July 28th, 2019, 3:21 pm

Quince,

Thanks for the updated report! Numerous calls to the ranger district have resulted in messages left and calls not returned until 2 days ago: I've summarized what I heard in an earlier post. Most unfortunately, I missed the call but the impression I had was the ranger was not personally familiar with the route. Rather, she was reporting information given her for public use.

Anyway, I've tentatively decided to repeat the Timberline Trail Loop (clockwise), which I last did in 2016 instead. It's a shorter drive from my house and (crowds aside) was a really fine trip.

Thanks again!
Keith